Homemade Cases?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Corey, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Corey

Corey Member

Do any of you have any homemade cases for your razors? I haven't really seen anything in the way of premade cases aside from the vintage stuff.

2. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I was in my local smoke shop and found a cool stash tin. I cut foam to fit and then cut holes in the foam to fit my razor. Looks cool and didn't cost but 6.00 for the whole project.

3. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

I use the standard plastic Merkur case for a lot of my razors. It holds most Gillette DEs just fine. I think I bought them at EM’s Place.

[​IMG]

4. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

I had plans to make one out of an altoids tin and some foam, 3 piece work fine, but the Tins are not tall enough to accommodate the TTO models.
    Cooncatbob was working on some wooden boxes he was thinking of selling, don't know what the status is on those, My guess they took too much time to make and would cost more than people would want to spend on a box for a razor. They did look cool.

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Muhle-Pinsel makes these great looking nickel-plated razor gift boxes that come sans liners and with a dark gray wood insert that has cut-outs that will fit the Merkur HD razors. I lined them all with black velvet, painted the inserts jet black for the HDs, and then modified those inserts so my Barberpoles would fit.

6. MsBlackwolf

Niiicee!! Sure puts my black wizard tin to shame.

7. tom myers

tom myers Member

Those are really outstanding looking cases as you've modified them. Great job!

Regards,
    Tom

8. tsenfw

tsenfw Member

Those are really awesome cases but they are 40-50! I'm looking for nice alternatives but I'm not seeing any lol.

9. tsenfw

tsenfw Member

Does anyone have links to boxes (cheap) that can be used for DE razors?

10. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Would blue monkey and TG Charles would be so kind as to post links to the stores where they bought the cases so that some of the rest of us could purchase them as well.

11. Aneurysm

Aneurysm New Member

I'm interested to know as well!

12. ctakim

ctakim Member

Cooncat Bob has made some nice wooden cases for DE Safety razors.

13. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

The plastic Merkur case is on this page.

http://www.emsplace.com/shaving/merkur_razors.aspx

Scroll down a little bit and you'll find it on the right side.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I was going to mention that.. they look very nice also..He does great work

15. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

I'm working on a new homemade case idea, but I don't want to say too much until I see how it works out.
    I found a great container and now I need some foam for padding/bedding the razor itself.
    In fact, I think I could probably set it up with Sharp & Dull containers...assuming I had something that would work for that. :D

16. TG_Charles

TG_Charles Member

The Gillette razors fit nicely into the Merkur cases.

[​IMG]

17. ctakim

ctakim Member

Is that a President or a Diplomat on the right?

18. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

A cheap idea:

Start with a plain old MTM Jag & Brush case...available at most sporting goods stores with the gun cleaning & maintenance supplies.

[​IMG]

Notch the divider at the top of the middle section with a Dremel like so:

[​IMG]

Slice some packing foam down to fit the middle section... not too thick or it might make the lid put pressure on the razor. I'd say less than 1/2" should do.
    And.. voila!

[​IMG]

19. MsBlackwolf

MTM makes some good stuff and you made it better. Great job and won't crack/break like a hard plastic case!

20. Corey

Corey Member

Good jorb Greg. That beats the hell outta anything I could manage to come up with in my head so far.