Homemade facial toner

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by tuxxdk, May 29, 2016.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hi

There are many times where I shower but don't shave. I've always used commercial face creams after until I made my own lotion bar. But I love a good splash...

So I came to think of an "after shave splash" without alcohol, I guess it would be called a toner?

How does one go about making that? I thought of maybe just use my after shave recipe and remove the alcohol, but can my EO and glycerin dissolve in WH alone?

Thanks in advance for any input to this matter :)

Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

My early AS experiments were mostly WH and EO. They will separate out, but a quick shake disperses the oils well enough.

Aloe and vitamin E could be nice additions. Not sure how those will effect solubility.

Bodysuit, Keithmax and tuxxdk like this.
  3. tuxxdk

Sounds like I should try it :)

4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I made one a while back, it turned out more like a balm, but the consistancy can be changed by the ingredient ratio.

Made from: Aloe vera gel, witch hazel, glycerin, small shot of spiced rum, menthol, and EO (I used patchouli, orange, tangerine) but you could make it any scent you like.

Bodysuit and Robyflexx like this.
  5. tuxxdk

Without alcohol, how's the shelf life? I've read some recipes recommending using it within one week but that just sounds crazy.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That is a good question. Anything water-based can incubate bacteria.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

I mix WH with a few drops of eucalyptus EO, little Tea Tree oil, few capsules of vitamin E squeezed in, and enough Peppermint EO to make it cold. As mentioned above, shake well before use.

Bodysuit likes this.
  8. tuxxdk

How's shelf life without the alcohol? Sounds like a nice toner!

9. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

There is a little alcohol in WH. I think it is 14%. Never had it go bad before I use up a bottle.

10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

When my wife gets mad and slaps me it really tightens up the face. (He! He!)

Herm

tuxxdk likes this.
  11. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

You can always invent the auto slapper. Similar to this face slapper alarm clock. :p

[​IMG]

Paul Turner and Herm2502 like this.
  12. tuxxdk

Ahh, I see. The WH I can get here is without alcohol.

13. manorbeast

manorbeast New Member

Check out themanorbeast they have some amazing all natural toners for good prices.

14. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

I make it myself crazy cheap. Witchhazel, a little glycerine, a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Done.

Bodysuit likes this.
  15. tuxxdk

Is it WH with or without alcohol? I have the type without alcohol.

I haven't gotten any further. I'm just using my homemade AS.

16. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

Mine is 14% alcohol. I can't remember now if I added more alcohol to this batch.

17. Crowne & Crane

Crowne & Crane Well-Known Member

I don't think you'd go far wrong with a mixture of witch hazel, aloe juice, some rosewater and a touch of Vitamin E. As others have mentioned EO's won't emulsify in any of those, so you'll have to shake well before using. It does make an excellent and soothing post shave splash.

Bodysuit likes this.