Homemade honing vid

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by LX_Emergency, Mar 29, 2007.

1. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Member

I'm not sure if thisgoes in here or in the restoration bit.

But I've made a short straight razor honing video of me honing a simple 5/8 razor. (It turned out great, I shaved with it after recordign and it's excellent.)

Here is the video.

awake2shave likes this.
  2. Will

Will Nevermind

AWESOME!!!

Love the bed head! :rofl

3. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

Very nicely done!!!

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Great job!

5. Padron

Padron Active Member

Nice work Alexander!! :D

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Thank you for sharing that great video with everyone here.

7. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Cool!!

Thanks a lot.. Always good to be able to see how things are done.. Instead of just reading about them..

:signs107

8. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Great video! :cool: ::

9. xChris

xChris Member

Nice tutorial, and impressive speed on the stone and strop!

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

great job!!

Maybe you can elaborate on the type of Coticle you use in the video. Is it a yellow Belgian? Is that the same stone that can be utilized for finishing and polishing the edge? What is the aprox grit or to what other stone does it compare as far as grit 8k, 12k?

Raf

11. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Member

It's a small belgian yellow. I don't know wht the grit is since I have never used any other stones. I got this one cheap off e-bay and hve never been able to afford a Norton. From what I understand it's probably aroun 10-12k though

12. Amyn

Amyn Guest

Wow that is a great video, I have just ordered my 4K/8K combo stone today. it should be here by next week. How does honing on the Belgian stone different than the 4k/8k.

Any suggesstions

13. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

That was funny LX !

but when you started to speed up the stropping on the linnen I was like :eek: :eek: he just didnt do that ! no he didnt ! tell me its just fast forward on your camera !!!!!!!

impressive. How many years have you been stropping on a belt ?
    kinda proofs it aswell that if you know what your doing you get away with 1 stone ?

LX a wet stone with 18000 to 20000 grit would it be usefull ?

14. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Member

I've been shaving with a straight razor for about a year now. The motion just makes sense to me and I don't even have to think about it.

As for 18000-20000 grit. I honestly wouldn't know. I might but it sounds like it'll cut VERY very slow. The grit certainly is fine enough.

15. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

18000-20000 grit would polish the edge. As for honing, you would need to quit your daytime job. A grit that fine would take forever.

St. Croix