Homemade Native American Flute

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Redrock, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

In the this video and in others the artisan refers to river cane and saw grass as well as bamboo as material for the flute. I have been on Google trying to find a source for any of these. I want to make my Granddaughter a flute.

I am hoping some folks in other parts of the country can help me for a source since I have not been able to locate the materials. I am thinking these materials may be more available in your area. Any assistance you can provide is appreciated.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I cant see the video on mobile but I made this one 12 years ago with a native America named Michael Bigbear. It's none traditional materials. Poplar body, cedar bear totem, elk hide to bind it together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Redrock and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

If there is a Michaels or Hobby Lobby nearby, they often have dried river cane in the floral section. You have to look it over good to make sure it's not cracked.

Redrock and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Another non-traditional option is a PVC pipe flute. Once you get past the fact they are PVC They are really quite nice. Almost indestructible, impervious to moisture and easy playing. They play well and bend notes easily. They have resonance in their own way and you can make quite a few for almost nothing. While i would not trade a single piece cedar flute for one I also won't strap a cedar to a backpack and go hiking. PVC I can take anywhere without fear of it being damaged or ruined.
    Let me know if you are interested and I will lay out construction. It might take an hour or two to build the first one.
    [​IMG]

Redrock likes this.
  5. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Member

Go here for all the information that you need to get started, including plans and information.

Redrock likes this.