Homemade Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Swampfox, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

How much does it cost to make you own preshave oil? Is it worth the cost to make your own pre-shave oil?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

There are lots of threads on this subject. Do a search. I think the general consensus is that it is far far cheaper to make your own. I've read that oils to use are Grape seed, Olive, Castor, Jojoba and Almond. When I decide to make some it will likely be equal parts of these 5. I also may cut it down to just Olive, Grape Seed and Castor Oil. If I only use these three it will be 40% of the Olive and Grape Seed oils and 20% Castor oil. I've been told castor oil is thicker and can leave a mess in your sink. But there is no right or wrong way to do it.

3. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

I did a search for DIY pre-shave oil and homemade pre-shave oil and didn’t come up with anything

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That's because it is not necessary. May I ask, in all seriousness, how you think it'll help? Most of us have tried a PSO in our shaving lives. I have. I still have one bottle of vintage AoS Lavender. Smells great, but never, and I mean never, have I gotten a better shave because I used it. Wash you face well...best in the shower. Some guys prefer the hot towel, that's cool. Lather up and let it sit on your face for a few minutes. Wash it off and re-lather. You are now good to go. If you are using a quality shave soap; have it properly hydrated, there is nothing else that can make your shave "smoother".

5. MntnMan62

Do a google search. You'll find links to threads on this site as well as other shaving forum threads not he same topic.

I neglected to add that for scent, add a few drops of your own preferred essential oil.

6. MntnMan62

Primo is correct. YMMV. I use pre shave oil before every one of my shaves. Does it work? No idea. I just do it because that was how I started out doing it. I will say that there have been a couple times when I've simply forgotten to apply the pre shave oil. To me, I don't think my shave was as comfortable. Was that a figment of my imagination? Quite possibly. Whether to use a pre shave of any sort or not is a much debated topic on this and many other forums and I don't think there is a consensus.

Primotenore likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Can't argue with this post. Fact is, if YOU like your shave better, that's all that matters.

Killerflyingbugs and MntnMan62 like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Making your own is pretty cheap. I started using it, then I didn't. Did it help, yes, slightly. Now I might use it at times when my skin feels really irritated, but not often. as most of the soaps I use have plenty of cushioning. But if you want to explore the possibilities of making your own, do a search for "DIY pre-shaving oils".

9. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

This thread is a good place to start. It’s located in the Tutorial section.

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/how-to-make-your-own-pre-shave-oil.31132/

As you read through you’ll find ideas and then you might do a general internet search for recipes too.

I gathered four or five recipes before making my first batch, which worked pretty well but I ended up tweaking the second batch both for scent and consistency.

I have dry skin so I find adding preshave oil to my routine to be most helpful.

It’s easy to make and the ingredients are easily sourced at health food stores.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It really is pretty inexpensive. You can use a single skin-safe oil or blend them. Some oils are available at super markets & drugstores (e.g. olive oil, grape seed oil, Castor oil). You can add a fragrance, though that is optional. My hubby & I love our home made PSO. We find it reduces razor friction with no reduction of lather. But you have to try it for yourself, to know if it is for you.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.