Honey Bee Gardens, my take..

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Redfisher, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Having recently received 3 after shaves from HBG and using them I wanted to put my opinion out there. I have Key Lime, Vermont and Bay Rum. All 3 do a decent job of post shave skin care but the scents are something else. Key Lime is very light and lasts about 10 minutes. Vermont has a decent scent but again 10 minutes. The Bay Rum lasts a little longer but is more like a light version of British Sterling. No bay no Rum no clove.....

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Lime scents do have a tendency to fade quickly. How would you characterize your post-shave needs and does the HBG satisfy?

3. Redfisher

Trying to think of an answer here. Basically I like to be feel refreshed from an aftershave and to me the scent plays a part. I don't need it to last all day, an hour or 2 is fine. At least until I walk out the door. Agood example is Myrsol Limon. Lemon freshness that I can enjoy for a little while in the morning. I will be using the HBG some more to get a better feel for the product but like I said the scents are not quite there. Of course this my opinion and others may have a different take on things. It could just be my body chemistry.

RyX likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Gotcha Mike @Redfisher. I have a couple balms, but find I prefer an alcohol based splash for the bracing feel when applied. With cooler temps and lower humidity approaching I've been testing unrefined shea butter applied after AS.
    The HBG looks milky in the photos and I glanced at the ingredients list. Might have some of what I seek this time of year - protection from wind and dry skin.

ingredients; SD Alcohol 40 (natural source), witch hazel extract, aloe vera, yarrow, calendula, German chamomile, elder flower, bay, rose, peppermint, lavender, lemon, essential oils.

(Same ingredients listed no matter which scent.)

Redfisher likes this.
  5. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I agree with Redfisher concerning the scents not lasting too long and even though they contain alcohol, there is just a slight tingle nowhere near a burn. Initially I thought they lasted longer but I was probably applying too much! I acquired the five scented versions as there was a Black Friday sale that I couldn't resist. Mainly got them to use in the colder months as the all natural ingredients seemed a plus. I used them for a week every day and my 68 year old face never felt better. I've found that they do need to be shaken prior to applying. I suppose it mixes up the essential oils
    Of all the scents, my favorite is "Florida". The Sandalwood starts off smelling (to my nose) like a freshly sharpened #2 lead pencil. But after a few minutes on the skin it calms down. Not sure how to describe scents, but it is not unpleasant.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  6. Redfisher

I used the "Vermont " this morning and the scent was nice, sorta woodsy. Light but pleasant. The products do leave your skin feeling very good. Starting to grow on me.

RyX likes this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

OK, dumb question from a female who (obviously) does not use these products. How long is the scent of an after-shave expected to last? Is is supposed to last for hours, like a cologne?

Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and Redfisher like this.
  8. Redfisher

Some aftershaves do and some don't. I like a scent to last an hour or so but not all day. Some guys like to add a cologne and don't want a strong AS.

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not dumb if you wish to gain insight. I have several Pinaud aftershaves that are labeled Cologne. The Veg is strong from the start, calms after the urea scent fades, and can last as lilac for 4-6 hours up close. Special Reserve in one of the colognes. It's a leather scent, not new leather chair, more well broken in leather jacket. It's pretty much one note for it's length and it's good for all day. Best to be minimal when applying if I plan to be indoors and better as a cool weather scent. Two Pinaud called Lime Sec & Citrus Musk are much shorter lived scents. Lime Sec is candy sweet like Jolly Ranchers, while Citrus Musk starts lime, and as that fades the musk carries. Because the lime is short lived if I wanted a cologne like longevity, I'd need to reapply again later in the day. Other products I've enjoyed - Proraso Green is minty and pretty short on both length of stay, and projection, and Proraso Blue that to me smells like wild grapes (muscadines), has great soothing qualities but fades quickly. Weather using New (P&G) or Old (Shulton) Old Spice AS the scent is an all day thing.
    So there's variation in different brands, and with different amounts and types of essential or scent oils. On top of that those oils react with skin chemistry and may smell different or last longer one person to the next.
    The big difference between Aftershave and Cologne is small. AS might contain 1-3% EO, and cologne 2-4%. An EDT more like 5-15%, and a real perfume 20-30% EO.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Sara-s like this.