Honing Section

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by DoughBoy68, Dec 28, 2012.

1. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

Is there a section here at TSD dedicated to honing? Maybe I missed or overlooked it? If not, maybe there should be? Honing is a very important part of str8 razor shaving..........

Thanks in advance!

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

We don't currently have a honing section, it's an important part of straight razors of course - but a lot of people don't invest in hones, or shouldn't be starting out doing it at all yet. Heck even I'm getting rid of mine because I don't have time to do it - I'd much rather just send mine off to Glen or Lynn.

alpla444 likes this.
  3. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

I do most of my own honing but there are times when I don't have time or have a edge that just won't cooperate. Then is when I send them to Glenn or Lynn, both do excellent edges. In fact, I have a Wade & Butcher chopper on its way to Glenn for honing because, well, it wouldn't cooperate. I still feel a section would be very useful for those who do hone and have an occasional problem or even a new guy that is interested in honing. It is very helpful to have a place to pick up some hints/tips from experienced honers, via post or videos, that's how we learn. Just a thought.........

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Check this out ---> *click* several links to honing videos, among other things related to str8s.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  5. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

Yep! Found that after posting. That's why I stated "Maybe I missed or overlooked it", which I did. Anyway, thanks for info.

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Check out Straight Razor Place as they've got the goods on honing, in fact you'll go nuts trying to absorb all of the information on the topic.

7. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

Yep! There is a ton of info about any type shaving........been a member of SRP since Sept. 2008

8. Larry Stephenson

Larry Stephenson Active Member

Getting rid of your hones??! Wanna sell 'em?