honing/stropping

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Reformation Student, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

RS and Bill,

Just a bit of personal experience with the wapienicias that might help with the discussion...

I've noticed that they needed very few, and pretty light, strokes on the 8K once the bevel was established. They seem very "soft" to me, but I'm no expert - I'm comparing them to, say, Sheffield steel like a Rodgers :shrug

Not sure if that's helpful or not.

James.

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

I'll say that it was very easy to hone initially.

It is beginning to look like the chief culprit is that I've lost a good bevel somehow.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

I don't know RS. Again, it's probably better to see what the experts say, but if there's been, say, a wire edge that's broken off, that might have some implications for the bevel.

Sorry, I can't remember whether you said this before (I read this thread at 4:30am while I was waiting for someone to snipe me on an ebay bid :mad:) but have you tried taking it back to the 4K?

James.

4. Reformation Student

Yeah, I have but only for a couple of strokes. My understanding is that the 4k will take off mass amounts of metal very quickly and not being a honemeister, I get cautious about using it.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Fair enough. It does take metal off, but if you check frequently you're in complete control. And you can always put a bit of magic marker along the edge to reassure yourself about what and how much is being taken off. The trick is knowing when to stop :D (and I've never let not being a honemeister stop me from butchering my edges... LOL!)

James.

6. Reformation Student

:rofl Now, I'd be the same way if I had more than 2 razors. At least one has to be shave ready :D

7. Reformation Student

update

So all I have until my loupe arrives is the Radio Shack microscope. Tonight, I worked on the razor and kept checking the edge with the scope. I got to a point where the edge showed no nicks or chips so I stopped.

I took the razor in my right hand and shaved up my left arm which has very fine, soft hairs. Hair was just falling off at the slightest touch of the razor.

Switch hands, switch arms, repeat shave. Some hair fell off but mainly the razor just glided over them. I reversed the razor and shaved down the arm and the hairs just fell over onto the blade at the slightest touch.

Am I looking at an uneven bevel here? I applied what I thought was equal pressure on both sides of the blade while honing. Yes, I know this test isn't the ultimate but I thought it might be a good indicator of progress. The RS microscope is really useless to me. I think Bill's idea of using a loupe will be better for me but I only have this and one other razor, both of which need work, so I'm doing what I can at the moment.

8. Reformation Student

update 2.0

Hmm. I shaved this morning with this razor. Smoooooth.

I did a 2 pass shave and it's close enough for government work :rofl

Actually, it was close enough where I could easily go to the office or even out for an evening and look real good. (leave the jokes alone :p ) I'm happy with the result of the shave but I think it could be just a little sharper and a little smoother.

I don't know whether that's best accomplished using some more 8k passes or just doing some strokes on the linen strop first before the leather.

On a honing note:

I noticed last night that after doing some passes on the stone, I could see a bright shining bevel if I turned the razor into the light source. It was consistent from heel to toe on both sides (meaning there was no spot along the razor where I didn't see it). I've read where that's an indicator of good progress. What say y'all? Irrelevant coincidence or perhaps some truth to it?

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

So i got my Loupe today...but for the life of me i cant decipher what it is im suppose to be looking at. Any help would be appreciated

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

You are on the right path. If you look throught the loupe you want to see a good solid edge with out microchips or rust. It will look the edge has little teeth, this is ok. You will be able to tell a microchip when you see it. This is what you are looking for and it is another indicator you are going in the right direction. Remember the ultimate test is the shave itself.

Raf

11. xChris

xChris Member

You also want to see a consistent finish at the edge -- some see it as a shiny line, and others see it as shadowed or black -- it should be the same color and size all along it.

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

What you see through the loupe/microscope won't seem all that "impressive," I suppose, but it does really help you see any tiny nicks or other imperfections you might not see as you hone, but you'll definitely feel when you shave!

13. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Exactly!!!:D

Raf