Honing

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Medicdad417, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

What is the preferred angle to hold when honing a straight

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

3. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Flat meaning to say the blade rests flat on its side on the stone. It's the only way to keep an exact angle critical to a real straight razor. Everything else is just guessing and sloppy. Straights are not like normal knives. They are microscopically thin.

4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

The spine rests on the stone. The stone should be lapped flat. Very little pressure beyond the weight of the razor is needed after bevel setting.

5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Yes, flat.The spine and edge should both in contact with the stone. Some people put a strip of electrical tape on the spine to protect it from the hone.

6. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

All true. A straight razor honing progression is typically 1K bevel set, 4K, 8K, at this point a decent shaving edge is possible, then a higher level finisher for some serious whisker wiping, finishers are often around 12K. gssixgun has great videos on honing straight razor, they are all available on you tube. Groups get togethers are the best possible learning emviroment. I have been to a couple of meets and it is amazing the learning that goes on. This is a great one to start with

kurtmill, 45auto, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Still love that vid :)

8. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

was he honing a brand new one or a worn out one?

9. pundi64

pundi64 Well-Known Member

Was that a slight smiling blade stroke? I always thought with a regular straight blade, you go straight down the hone, and straight back the other way?
    If anyone knows please clearify, thanks.

10. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Never straight down and straight back. That stroke builds frowns, and just like women, we always want to make them smile. If you use an X stroke it will keep the frown away.

11. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

That video has taught many many people.

12. pundi64

Thanks

13. pundi64

I beg to differ with you, if you look on YouTube.com they show straight down stroke, blade at a angle stroke, circular stroke, but the one showed in here as the holy grail, is not as you say. Please explain this total confusion on honing someone is wrong ????:angry017:

14. pundi64

I'm going to email a very promenade honemiester, and ask what his take is on all this:angry019:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  15. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

Good plan. Have you watched Glen's other videos? It is really confusing to try to watch for or five different peoples techniques on honing and then try and put it all together. There are many roads that lead to a great edge. All of them are correct but you cannot follow all of them all at once. If you want to learn to hone from videos then I suggest you use one persons videos, it will be much less confusing. The best place of all to learn is one on one with a friend or to go to a meet.

gssixgun likes this.
  16. pundi64

Yes fine, I agree. I did get my answer from a Honemiester , pretty much say what you said, I'll follow his advice, I really was amazed at the edge he put on my razor.

RezDog likes this.
  17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

:signs011:

gssixgun likes this.
  18. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

@pundi64 I see you are listed as living in Thailand so I am not certain if there are other honemeisters near you, or the chance for "get togethers " with other individuals, but if there is, I strongly recommend you attend. Something about a group dynamic that lends itself to rapid learning.

To echo what someone else had said, stick with honing videos one, maybe two, honemeisters and just go with it. Trying to follow everyone will only drive you crazy! I highly recommend the Youtube videos by @gssixgun or Lynn Abrams from SRP/SRD as the GOLD STANDARD.

Good luck and hit us up with any questions

gssixgun likes this.
  19. pundi64

Thanks tuned in on YouTube, and Lynn Abrams is a great instructor, easy talking and really informative.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  20. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind, anyone can post a video on Youtube. Doesn't mean they know what they are doing. I even have a video on honing on lapping film up on Youtube. But I make sure the viewer understands that I am an amateur, and if anyone asks me how to hone, or any advanced honing questions, I refer them to Lynn or Glen. My video is more about encouraging people to try.
    Youtube can be a wonderful thing, but the information on it is only as good as the person sharing it.
    (this post is not a direct response to Pundi64, just a general observation)