Honing?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jason koonce, Jan 7, 2020.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

I dont want people to think i am trying to go cheap, but i do have a couple of questions.

When you start of learning to hone what types of stones should one start with? what grit should you first get a bevel setter or a finisher for touching up as a starting point?

This is something i am going to have to plan out and of course gather the stones over time that is why i am asking. I am currently waiting on lapping film to get an idea of whats to come and honestly at at the time the best decision financially.

Edison Carter likes this.
  2. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Once you get your lapping film you can use grit to lapping film conversion to see what is working. nothing wrong being budget minded.

there are many ways to skin a cat. There a lot of variables when answering your question, But here is a general grit recommendation
    1K for bevel set
    3k -8k mid range
    10k pre finisher
    12 k finisher

but like said above there are a lot of options. After bevel set some are able to use one stone to finish. I recently went from synthetic bevel set to finish on a natural stone. Some people shave off of an 8k, to 100k Ymmv

For a new honer I would suggest to start with progressive synthetic stones. And I usually suggest lapping film progression which you have.

But you already have lapping film which is a viable and permanent option. What are you using for base for lapping film? And what range of microns did you get?

My simplified answer to your questions, starter set - lapping film, 1k king for bevel setter it is an inexpensive stone and a translucent ark as a finisher and to retouch.

I also suggest you get a leather strop. You will also need a system to maintain/ lapp your stones.

My recently Progression: 1k king, 9u film, 5u film, 3u film, 1u film, translucent Arkansas, leather strop.

the stone, lapping film, hone, strop thing can be slippery slope, Enjoy your ride down the rabbit hole.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Edison Carter likes this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

A packet of 3m non adhesive backed lapping film consisting of 30, 12, 9, 3, 1, .5, .3 microns is going to be both economical and easy to hone to shave ready.

Leclec13 likes this.