Horse Hair Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jabberwock, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

The Vie-Long I currently have is Badger/Horse mix, which isn't bad but it's not pure horse so I don't quite like it as much as I should. I just noticed they have a horsehair version the same size as the Omega Mighty Midget & Wee Scott. SWEET

2. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I have the brush and it has the most scritch of any brush I own. if you don't like scritch you will not like that brush.

3. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I 've never had knots or tangles in any of my horse hair brushes. They do perform better if you use a painting motion instead of a circular motion. when you use a circular motion a void develops in the middle of the knot. Straightens out easily when rinsing out the excess lather.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Okay, so not "maybe someday." I like to start with a circular motion when applying lather, then smooth it all out with a painting motion.

5. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Actually that would work as well. I tend to forget and start out with a circular motion as well. Doesn't harm the brush just develops a void in the middle that gets filled in when you change to a painting motion or rinse the excess lather from the brush.

I tend to prefer the natural horse hair to the dyed because they seem to have more backbone but the dyed hair is softer IMO.

6. Neolithium

There actually seems to be a common theme with that - I'm assuming that the dying process ends up softening the hairs to the point where it's a little more floppy than the average person expects. Personally I think the undyed horsehair is much more attractive anyway.

JRod22 likes this.
  7. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

I would agree, but if you want a horse hair brush that will rival a silvertip badger then the dyed is the way to go. I would however order from GiftsandCare and have them set the loft shorter. I've got a Vie-Long Zurito 13061 (dyed) and had the loft set to 50mm instead of the normal 57mm and it is a great brush. The natural horse hair can be used at 57mm without much problem and at 50 may have just a bit too much scritch for most.

8. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I have a Vie Long

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am no so "excited" with this brush.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

why not? I'm not trying to be snarky- I'd really like to hear your reasons.

10. Doryferon

No no there is no problem.

I have many Badger and some Boar-Synthetic brushes and i bought it for a test
    It doesn't smell so bad as some Boars and has a different look
    I was happy but only in the beginning
    The bristles are though,they give me the impression that they will not "break" easily and that was true
    The knots does not opens pretty like the "V" of other brushes and if you push the brush a little bit more in your face a "gap" will occur
    Like a grenade effect
    There is no any "softness" and i don't expect in the future to see any
    Absolutely No comparison with a Badger even the Black ones
    I don't like it for face lathering,i thing is better for the bowl and with soaps
    All these does not mean that is a bad brush,is something different
    I thing every shaver must have one to expand his knowledge but for me is not so "attractive" when i open my closet and see my brushes.

:)

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I also prefer the look of the undyed Vie-Long. As for the softness or floppiness of the brush(dyed vs. natural) have you taken the hair mix into consideration. Vie-Long offer two hair mixes that I know of 50-50 mane/tail and 35/65 mane/tail. From what I understand mane is softer and tail is stiffer. I'm not sure what mix if any my #6, but it has gotten softer with use, but not floppy, the loft is 50mm, diameter is 25mm.

12. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I just recently picked up my first HH brush, a VL 13061 with the banded hair. The undyed hair would have been nice but I wanted to try the softer 50/50 mix. The handle on this brush is comfortable and probably the favorite of any I have used yet. The smell was faint out of the box and was totally gone after two days of lathering.
    It works well whiping up lather with soap or creams using circular motions with the tips and then paint the lather on. Though I use a painting motion with my other brushes as well. The tips are soft but it can becomes prickly if you apply pressure. I haven't had any tangling issues yet.
    I'm still getting to know it but am happy so far. As long as you don't expect it to be a badger you won't be dissapointed.

13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm seeing some misconceptions here, and I'd like to set the record straight. Horse hair brushes were not part of the anthrax scare. Badger brushes were. That is why so many vintage badger brushes are marked sterilized and continue to be sterilized even though the practice of marking them as sterilized has fallen out of general useage. It was during this time that boar brushes rose in popularity. Horse hair brushes were and are popular in the middle east, especially Turkey and other countries that were once part of the Ottoman empire, where they have been used for centuries.

As for horse hair brushes knotting up in the centers, this is a known issue and is caused by both the American way of lathering (circular motions as opposed to the back and forth motions recommended for these brushes), and by the knots being too loosely packed for European and American methods of applying lather (again, usually in a circular fashion). The manufacturers are aware of these issues and have largely rectified them. It is known that a short lofted, densely packed horse hair brush will not tangle and knot up unless it is severely abused, and perhaps not even then.

14. Neolithium

The majority were horsehair. Some badger was involved of course cause it's still from the hair of a wild animal - most of the brushes, from what I can find through Google were horsehair that were dyed to look like badger and sold as such. A surprising number of people had "badger" brushes that were horse manes and tails.

Queen of Blades and PLANofMAN like this.
  15. Doryferon

Yes this applies
    For face lathering Juan suggests 52 even an 48mm loft
    He wrote me that in email.

16. 178-bplatoon

I'm afraid horse's and cows were what the anthrax scare was all about in this country. Anthrax is usually associated with farm animals. Until the begining of the 20th century when the anthrax scare occured horse was the predominate brush choice in America and world wide. The band on horse hair brushes occured mainly in America, Canada and European countres. As far as I know no one ever caught anthrax from a badger brush. Horse hair brushes were and are popular in Muslim countries, boar of course is forbidden, badger can be used but is rather pricey in third world countries....:)

[Edit] Just for the record I have used and enjoyed the Turkish #6 horse hair brush for about two years now. Definately one of the most inexpensive brushes around. I use both a circular and painting motion when lathering and have never had a problem with the hair tangling or knotting in the center of the brush. I've heard mentioned many times that a hole forms in the center of the brush when lathering. This I beleive is normal and helps keep the hair from tangling at least I've seen that in posts on the internet.....;)

17. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Horse, cow, badger, boar, Hope they never get to Me!!!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357996397.037997.jpg

178-bplatoon likes this.
  18. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I have yet to see the void in my Vie Long and I circle lather before painting. Maybe I don't push the circles down and try to stay on the tips.

19. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I've got a natural Vie Long that seems to work well. It does donut, however that doesn't seem to affect the performance. There was a faint odor when I got it but that went away after a couple of shaves. It works great with both soaps and creams. It does have a little stritch though. I'm hoping that will go away in time.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  20. 178-bplatoon

Mine(#6 Turkish horse) is still working perfectly after two years of daily use. It has gotten softer over time, but not overly soft I'm happy to say......:)