hot wet towel

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by donald, Jan 5, 2019.

1. donald

donald New Member

other than a hot wet towel, what else can be done to soften facial hair for people who cannot shave while in the shower????? will a hot wet towel for 3 minutes on my face really soften my tough facial hair after coming out of the shower to the point where i can shave against the grain smoothly and no irritation whatsoever????? how effective will a hot wet towel on my face for 3 minutes be after showering since i cannot shave while in the shower????? can any of u guys please tell me or at least share your opinions with me??? rsvp. thank you.

brit, RyX, wristwatchb and 1 other person like this.
  2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

If you shave right after getting out of the shower, then a wet towel should not be necessary. Out of the shower your stubble should already be hydrated. If you are encountering irritation then there are other things going on that we would need more information to help correct. It could be you technique, or a reaction to the product you are using, etc, etc.

wristwatchb, RyX and johnnyflake like this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Well-Known Member

Hi @donald and welcome back!

There is debate in some circles as to whether or not "softening" the beard can be done and/or if it assists in shaving. Some have argued that the hair cuts more easily without trying to soften it.

You will also find the use of pre-shave oil to be debated as to whether or not it assists in the cutting process. I happen to use pre-shave oil because I have dry skin and it helps me not take a layer of dermis off.

To your question; other than a hot towel... what else can be done...

Pre-shave oil, washing with pre-shave soap, repeated rinsing with hot water, and possibly using a particular brand or type of shave soap/cream vs. another.

How effective will a hot towel be? Only your face and your shave will tell you

brit, wristwatchb, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

@donald I typically shave before a shower. I simply wash my face with soap, rinse well with warm water, and take my time to build a nice face lather. This is all the prep I need. I've use hot towels, pre-shave oil, and shaved after a shower, but I saw no benefit. I usually perform two passes - WTG and ATG - with no problems.

I always finish up with witch hazel and unrefined shea butter. This helps moisturize my skin and reduce or prevent any irritation.

If you're interested in working on your technique, please join us on the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread.

5. RyX

RyX DoH! Staff Member

:signs011:
    Charlie @wristwatchb has suggested the "problem fix" for many shavers. Visit The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group, read that opening statement by Neal @NCoxSTL and jump in. Don't let the 53 pages/ 1000+ post deter you from asking questions because The 30 Day Crew is all about helping new shavers learn how to get the best out of their vintage gear & vintage shavers figuring out new stuff.

Give us some details about your setup? What soap / brush / razor / blades / post shave products are you currently using? I've tried several preshave products with varying degrees of success. After a month of Shave Secret © oil I discontinued use with no discernible difference. Tried hot towel treatments, too. Didn't really help me much though it feels good during cool weather. Since I live on the South Coast of the U.S. most of the year I shave with cool tap water because it's refreshing and doesn't make me sweat while I'm getting my beard reduction done. One product that does seem to assist my shaves - Proraso PreShave soap. It's glycerin based and lays down a layer of slickness that I then lather over with my shave soap. The menthol is nice too, but it comes in other scents.

That 30 Day Group takes a quasi-scientific approach to getting the best from your current gear. As long as your equipment isn't defective, someone has figured out how to make it work. More often than not the problem is Technique. With the collective wisdom of a bunch of cheerleaders and some coaching you just might get your best shaves yet. There's a side benefit to joining the 30 Day Crew - Shenanigans! ;)

Trigger, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I don't really make a big deal of pre shave routine plus the fact that I like a cold water shaves best. Normally I just wash my face, lather up, strop my straight, relather and go for it. I do think there is some merit to doing it like the barbers, where they lather you up apply a hot towel over the lather then remove the towel relather then shave you. Experiment a little and see what works for you. My way works good for me.
    Edit- I use my brush and work the lather on my face. Take a little extra time with your brush that's why we have them. If your face can't handle it you have the wrong brush.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Trigger, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  7. brit

brit Well-Known Member

i use a hot towel with lather, preshve cream or just water,just feels good. i sometimes just face wash, preshave , or lather soak for a few minutes as well,summer i use cold water..many choices for many reasons..check out the 30 DC...

Trigger, RyX and Frijolero like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I don't recall the studies Gillette commissioned decades ago argued any benefit at all coming from super hot water or towels. As noted above many find cool or cold water does a fine job of preventing irritation.

Trigger, RyX, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

This might help you, it's my routine and I like it and there has to be some benefit if your senses like it IMO.

Preshave is a grey area for some and I believe it can help the person shaving get a even better shave and the skin feeling great. It has taken me a while to find the right products and procedure to attain the desired results. This little procedure will give you excellent results and tweek it to your liking or don't use it at all!
    Aloe Vera Gel is one of the best natural moisturizes for hair and skin know to man, moistened whiskers means easier slicing for razor blade edge & there by reducing irritation and other undesirables .

This will improve your shave to a more closer one in a Low humidity winter place especially or any environment if you are not having daily showers.
    1- wet the face with water and let it stay on wet.
    2- brush the teeth (2 minutes)
    3-wet face-put a hot or warm wet face cloth on the beard for 30-40 seconds and do it again for 30-40 seconds.(That is relaxing:happy108:)
    4- wet the face with water again.
    5- put some clear Aloe vera Gel ($ quarter Size)on the balm of your hands and rube it on the beard area.(this hydrates the beard to maximum)>(I bought this Aloe Vera Gel at Walmart)
    6- leave the aloe on the beard while mixing up the lather to let the hair follicles soak it up for optimum results.
    7- Put the Shave lather(Tabac-Arko....) right over the Aloe and shave with a rinsed warm wet razor!
    (I was applying the Aloe Gel on 1st step:rolleyes005:and its not as effective-apply on the 5th step for better results IMO):rolleyes:
    NOTE: if you just had a shower just apply the aloe vera gel over beard area and then mix lather and brush right over the beard and you should have one of your best shaves with good post shave results.
    This sequence of steps have given me excellent results in a cold dry climate like Northern Canada, it will work in any climate.
    Worth trying if you are not getting the good results with same shaving equipment in the summer months when humidity is higher-adds a few minutes to the shave if time is available. Check your humidity gauge if you have one:shocked003:
    Aloe has been a known for centuries as a healing agent for burns, minor cuts and moisturizer of skin and hair, heck even the cartridge manufactures have a Aloe moisturizer wear strips on their latest generation of blades. Its my new pre-shave holy grail, you can add a little oil to this to do trials and I have used Nivea natural Argan & joba oils body lotion. The skin just loves it with just a straight application of Aloe vera gel and I'm getting excellent close shaves with good skin tone.
    This clear Aloe Vera gel was hard to find, the Pharmacist asked me what I was searching for , he found it in the essential natural oils area not in the maze of body lotions at our local Walmart. Ask if you can not find it there, just a great product. I have been using different brands of Aloe Vera gel for my hair(dry hair problems) also over the last 20 years and it moisturizes my hair my greatly.
    [​IMG]
    Lots of folks are not sold on Pre-shave products because they shower every day and hydrate the beard whiskers some what and when they apply the pre-shave they do not notice much change IMO. For people who do not shower daily it will help soften the beard whiskers for the razor edge to slice them if a pre-shave product are used-law of physics "softer is easier to slice".

DarkSpy, Frijolero and brit like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Well-Known Member

Here's a couple very small tips. I have no strong preference between bowl and face lathering...but one strategy to maximize hydration for those who prefer the bowl is after brush loading first apply a layer of soap to the beard then proceed to work up the full bowl lather while the beard is hydrating. Second, start shaving the easy spots (cheeks usually), harder spots (usually neck) last. This gives the tough parts the benefit of extra hydration time.

Trigger, brit and Frijolero like this.
  11. donald

donald New Member

what about those gillette pre shave products like exfoliation gel or something? rsvp.

12. donald

donald New Member

does gillette make a preshave oil because i wash my face thoroughly with regular bar of bath soap. between hot and cold water which one is better to soften beard after taking a hot shower in the winter time? rsvp.

13. donald

donald New Member

i was living in los angeles at the time and we had no heating so shaving while in the shower was too cold! there was no other choice but to shave after taking a hot shower! a gillette preshave lotion or something? i use colgate palmolive bath soap to wash my face, nothing special or fancy about that! hot water or hot towel???? rsvp.

14. donald

donald New Member

is proraso sold at walmart, target, kmart, riteaid, cvs, walgreens, ect...........????? how is that supposed to help me before actually lathering up with gillette series gel for sensitive skin???? rsvp.

15. donald

donald New Member

how exactly is this supposed to help if its officially not listed for shaving? rsvp

16. donald

donald New Member

is proraso sold at riteaid, kmart, target, ????? im in los angeles. rsvp

QUOTE="RyX, post: 1519369, member: 16718"]:signs011:
    Charlie @wristwatchb has suggested the "problem fix" for many shavers. Visit The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group, read that opening statement by Neal @NCoxSTL and jump in. Don't let the 53 pages/ 1000+ post deter you from asking questions because The 30 Day Crew is all about helping new shavers learn how to get the best out of their vintage gear & vintage shavers figuring out new stuff.

Give us some details about your setup? What soap / brush / razor / blades / post shave products are you currently using? I've tried several preshave products with varying degrees of success. After a month of Shave Secret © oil I discontinued use with no discernible difference. Tried hot towel treatments, too. Didn't really help me much though it feels good during cool weather. Since I live on the South Coast of the U.S. most of the year I shave with cool tap water because it's refreshing and doesn't make me sweat while I'm getting my beard reduction done. One product that does seem to assist my shaves - Proraso PreShave soap. It's glycerin based and lays down a layer of slickness that I then lather over with my shave soap. The menthol is nice too, but it comes in other scents.

That 30 Day Group takes a quasi-scientific approach to getting the best from your current gear. As long as your equipment isn't defective, someone has figured out how to make it work. More often than not the problem is Technique. With the collective wisdom of a bunch of cheerleaders and some coaching you just might get your best shaves yet. There's a side benefit to joining the 30 Day Crew - Shenanigans! ;)[/QUOTE]

17. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Proraso, is sold, at all of those places, but only the Soap! I have never seen, the Proraso Pre-Shave, at any of them.

Trigger and brit like this.
  18. brit

brit Well-Known Member

online at many vendors , try west coast shaving..

Trigger likes this.
  19. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

No. Those are garbage in my opinion. They don't work, and more about marketing than anything else.

Sometime Proraso can be found at Target or Sally's locally. Dump the Gillette products, again those are garbage.

Are you also using a Gillette Multi-Blade Razor? If so that is probably the root of you sensitivity issue. Gillette has you hook line and sinker. Their products are causing you issues, and they've got you convinced that you need to buy more of their products to fix it... Once I switched to lathering with traditional Shave Soaps with a Brush, Double Edge Razors, and using good Aftershaves I stopped having sensitivity issues.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why you seem to be wrapped up with these garbage products, and what available only at big-box stores, yet come online for advise, and don't really seem willing to shop online...

Trigger, Dansco and brit like this.
  20. donald

donald New Member

on their website it only shows preshave cream and not soap! rsvp

brit likes this.