How can you tell

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by BIG SAM, Sep 27, 2017.

1. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

when you over sharpen a razor?

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

You stop breathing shortly after you begin shaving.....

For me, it's if the edge is too harsh to shave with. I'd say this is a subjective measure, but some might say that you can't actually over hone a razor. Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, gorgo2 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You want the Technical answer ??? or the daily shaver answer ???

Because I can go really deep into it if people want to read a ton of boring stuff :)

4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Both please.

EnglishChannel, Billyfergie and RyX like this.
  5. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Both, please.

EnglishChannel, Billyfergie and RyX like this.
  6. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Okay - Simple answer the razor will shave badly or harshly BUT this can also be attributed to many other honing issues or even stropping issues so the Common phrase "Over-Honing" was pretty much debunked about 2008 ish

Now the complicated answer

There is only so much steel at the apex (Fin) of the bevel for Straight razors it is believed to be the "Sharpest" that can be attained (Vorhaven Paper) is about .32~ keep in mind a DE is believed to be maxed out at .31~ :)

You start cutting hair at about .50~ so you have maybe .18~ microns of adjustment to mess with between the Fin being created and being maxed out, once it is maxed out if you keep honing one of two things happens

#1 You form a burr that will break loose and you are back to square one
    #2 You will flex the Fin and bevel and start to hone behind it and weaken the very apex which creates a very Harsh Fragile edge

The razor itself will determine the max of the edge, Steel make up, HT, Temper and Grind, will have an overall effect as well as the honing technique

(the term Honing Technique is the simple way of saying type of hones used, and how they are used to contributing to wrecking the Fin)

So it brings into play the old quote that I wish I could remember who said it at the 2008 NC meet up "I know how to hone just fine, I just need to learn when to stop" :p

7. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

what will the edge look kike through a scope and do you have to kill the edge and reset it?

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, all I know, is that I've had razors that were too dang sharp. The shaves weren't harsh, but the razors were so sharp, they tended to cut me at the least provocation, and after the shave, the aftershave burned like fire. Another shave or two and it calmed down. This has only happened after I took to the Arkansas Surgical Black, a few too many laps.

9. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

I've sometimes found that a razor that feels really sharp but doesn't shave very well can be put right with a few back-hone passes on my finishing hone

Best Regards

Graham

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    See this is where it gets dicey,

"Honing a SR isn't Rocket Science" I actually smile everytime I see someone post that, if it were science it would be exact and repeatable, it is more an art form than science

You sharpen the razor you strop the razor and you shave, the shaves are nearly always better than disposable junk and everyone is happy

It is also the reason why I hate trying to explain the Esoteric side of honing, because very few people take it that far or even need too..

But you asked :)

Looking under a scope will revel a white line or what we sometimes call "Sparklies" but it depends on the power of the scope too

Honestly over-honing is simply not that big of an issue..

The biggest issue new honers face is a proper bevel set, once you figure out that you can shave at that stage most of the issues fade away

Wanna learn to hone and shave ???

#1 Set the Bevel, Strop 20 laps on a Leather strop, go test shave
    Repeat until you are surprised with how well the razor shaves

#2 Go to your next hone do the most perfect routine you can manage, strop 20 laps on leather go test shave
    Repeat until it feels way better then the bevel set shave

#3 move through all your hones repeating this exercise

This will teach you how to read the Hones the razor and how to adjust the shaving stroke to compensate for a less then perfect shave :)

Now do the same on a few different and challenged razors it will teach you quite a bit about what to look for at each stage :)

Now 'Killing the Edge"

This is one of the least understood techniques that people use,

One problem is it has so many names

But until you are doing restorations I would suggest you stay away from it :)

Use the Thumbnail Test (TNT) at the Bevel set, it will allow you to get a read on the edge, and it also LIGHTLY "Kills the Edge" at the same time without nearly any risk.. about 5 laps on the hone should bring the Fin back to snuff after a TNT...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  11. BIG SAM

BIG SAM Member

thanks Glenn by the way, when i first started someone on this forum told me to find someone who knew what they were talking about and stick with them. they mentioned you. in your teaching the guy in first video of yours i watched, you mentioned Lynn. with reach i found it was Lynn Abrams. i have stuck with you guys watch every video both of you guys have out and i can i can say i am pretty good and can now sharpen my razors that will pop hairs. how would i and others learn if it wasn't for videos you 2 guys have produced. y'all are my mentors.

12. HirezChris

HirezChris New Member

Gssixgun, wow thanks for your expertise! I'm always impressed on the amount of knowledge of the members here.

gssixgun and Billyfergie like this.