How did you poke the bear today?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Rev579, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I offered a guy $7 for a "French Ivory" travel brush holder that was missing a price-tag. He told me it was $25. My response was, "Why? Is there a brush in there too?"
    I had the best time with the guy who told me the guard on the Gillette Old Type(all Open Combs) was a beard and mustache brush.
    "So, Mr. Gillette didn't design that and describe it in his patent as the device that limited the exposure of the skin to the blade and allowed lather to pass and be caught under the guard? Wow, I had no idea."
    "So, it's really just a comb."

Shaver X, Zykris, ghostlife and 6 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Flea market just east of Beaumont, on the south side of I-10? Been there, cleaned them out a year ago. Guess they have had time to restock.

Enrico, Rev579 and BigD like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I've just recently found out that a barbers notch is a myth. Live and learn I guess. :D

brit and Rev579 like this.
  4. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

What-Are-The-Different-Straight-Razor-Points.png

RyX, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Yeah but apparently the term is recent and from the internet.

brit, RyX and Edison Carter like this.
  6. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I definitely have a reputation for speaking my mind and/or making fun of people to their face, but usually somehow avoid getting in trouble for it

brit, RyX and Chuck Naill like this.
  7. Chuck Naill

"Let me give you a piece of my mind" can reveal more than one intends at times....LOL!!

brit and RyX like this.
  8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Perhaps all that spent brass you have laying around helps. :happy108:

RyX likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Indeed.
    Virtually ALL vintage straight razor print ads (as well as articles and commentaries published from those eras) refer to that particular tip or 'point' as a 'Hollow Point'—the term 'Barber's Notch' is a relatively recent descriptor and has gotten widespread use in forums, ebay, and informational diagrams such as the one linked above. Just 'cause it says so online, don't make it so! :D

Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  10. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Poke the Bear? So trolling now has it's own meme? Hahaha, that's funny! I wonder if that means certain forums will be renamed Poker & Bear, The Bear Poke and Poker My Bear. At least we are still The Shave Den.
    French Ivory? You mean they have elephants in France?

Kind of like people calling a Gillette 195 adjustable razor a "Fatboy". Once when I opined someone's razor was Gillette 195, he responded "No, it's a Fatboy", to which I replied "That's not what she said". That post probably got deleted. :D

11. Chuck Naill

I've read "hollow notch" as a description as well.

brit likes this.