How do I stop all the email?!

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Lather Lover, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Lather Lover

Lather Lover New Member

Ive been a member for 2 days and only made a couple of posts, but have had about 100 emails from shave den, saying that such a body has replied to such a thread I viewed....

Ive unticked all the boxes in the alerts section, but thats not got it. What do I do guys?

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Ya this happened to me when I joined. I resolved the problem by first clicking the watch threads button.. then you'll see little boxes on the left which you should check. Then there's a with selected at the bottom left in white. Click there and pick the disable email notification.
    Press go and that's it. IMO this setting should not be left in default cuz it took quite a while for me to find this adjustment...

3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I believe it's under "your Account" and "preferences" to not send yourself email with updates.

4. senex

senex Member

I have set mine to "digest" so that I get all updates as one email at set intervals, That might suit you better.

5. Lather Lover

Lather Lover New Member

Think I fixed it - thanks Neolithium,

Site mods - this should really not be set as a default. Im sure this pisses people off in equal measure when they join.

6. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

It's set by default to make navigation easier for new members whom haven't been here before and don't know where everything is and haven't learned how to move around the site yet, especially when posts get moved on down or on to another page in the normal flow of traffic.

7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Hmmm. How about a sticky in the new member section explaining how to switch from Alerts being emailed, for those that are less computer savvy or who aren't quite sure about how to go about changing it? Best of both worlds?

8. Lather Lover

Lather Lover New Member

This is now becoming extremeley annoying. I have unticked boxes in THREE seperate sections related to emails, yet I checked today and had 25 shave den emails in 2 days.

Also, Im normally pretty computer savvy, and actually run my own forum. So something is either very wrong with just my account, or theres a fourth or even fifth section I have to change. Im sure everyone would agree that thats ridiculous though? Im off to do some more tinkering.

9. IAmTheJody

Go here and make sure the 'and receive email notifications of replies' box is unchecked.

Then go here and put a tick in the box next to each thread showing. Then choose the option to 'Disable Email Notification' in the drop down box at the very bottom, left hand side.

10. Lather Lover

Lather Lover New Member

Thanks for the reply Jody, but I had already done both of these things. I'm even receiving emails from threads I'm not "watching". (Again something I think you should have to opt into instead of opting out of.)

I've also asked for no alerts, and keep getting them. Anyway, I guess my best option is to disable my account and go back to just using theshavingroom.co.uk. No such problems there, or on any other forum I've been on.

11. IAmTheJody

Seeing as how you're the first person to encounter this problem - or the first person to bring it up as an issue - the site admin will have to look into it as it doesn't make sense if you followed the steps I outlined. I'll send a PM to him and direct him to this thread...

12. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    The mailings you are receiving are set to a default of off for all new accounts. I've removed your email from the system, so that should stop it. Somewhere along the line you must have either subscribed to a thread or even an entire forum section. Watching (subscribing) a forum is controlled via the top of the page, just under the post new thread button. These are set individually per forum section. I don't have the ability to see these settings in each account, as they are considered "private" settings. Regardless, the removal of your email address should stop all emails.

awake2shave and IAmTheJody like this.