How do you dip?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by LifesShort, Jan 24, 2014.

1. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

I'm curious how you dip cream from tubs. I'm thinking about creams like TOBS that come in plastic tubs rather than tubes. Do you use a spoon? Your finger? The brush? I use a small butter dish knife. You can't tell from the photo, but it has a nice bone handle and I think it looks really nice. I'd like to know how others dip the cream from tubs.

[​IMG]

2. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I no longer have tobs, but when I did either my finger or gently swirling the brush. The direct brush loading method for this type of cream however is difficult to consistently pickup the same amount of cream.

RaZorBurn123 and LifesShort like this.
  3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I swirl my brush through the cream. No dipping just a gentle pass and that gets enough onto the bristles.

LifesShort likes this.
  4. Lutebro

Lutebro Well-Known Member

I use my finger :)

LifesShort likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use the little plastic spoon I got from TSD store when I bought some cream. One member has a really cool looking one. It's in his photos, I think there caviar spoons?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    LifesShort likes this.
  6. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

regular disposable spoon with the handle cut off some.

LifesShort likes this.
  7. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I just swirled the tips of my brush around til I'm happy.

LifesShort likes this.
  8. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I just swirl my brush in it.

LifesShort likes this.
  9. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

While shopping in a kitchen store my wife asked why I was buying a condiment spoon to which I replied that it was only a condiment spoon on the pedestrian level but any refined gentleman who shaves properly would immediately recognize it as a snurdle dipper.
    Here's an example of a very fine snurdle dipper
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/sos-january-13-2014-january-19-2014.35767/page-10#post-632542
    And here's mine
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/sos-january-13-2014-january-19-2014.35767/page-3#post-631220

RyX and LifesShort like this.
  10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Well you learn something new everyday...:) I'd never heard of snurdle,much less a snurdle spoon before reading this thread..I use cream very seldom and then only from a tube...Thanks for the info and pics John..:happy088:

LifesShort likes this.
  11. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I'm another who swirls his brush.

LifesShort likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Brush swirl!

LifesShort likes this.
  13. Dapper-in-a-can-man

I think I'm going to try spooning some out this next shave. How much would I use though? O.o

LifesShort likes this.
  14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm not big into creams so the only cream I have in a tub is TSD Wheat Cedarwood.
    I just use a regular table knife to scoop out what I need.

LifesShort likes this.
  15. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Thanks for all of the great replies. I'm surprised at how many of you swirl with the brush. How do you control or know how much is on the brush? If I swirled, I'm afraid I'd go through the tub at record speed.

16. Dapper-in-a-can-man

How's prominent is the cedar? I love cedar scents!

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Interesting read. Most of my soaps are hard soaps, and all my creams are in 'squeeze' tubes.
    No snurdling, spooning, dipping nor scooping required. HOWEVER, I recently acquired a tin of Simpson's (soft) cream, so now I must commit to some method of product extraction! :scared011:

LifesShort and GDCarrington like this.
  18. sharpedge1188

sharpedge1188 New Member

I always do a light swirl wirh my badger brushes :)

LifesShort likes this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

All of JoAnna's scents have just the right punch (I don't like a weak scent), and the cedarwood is no exception.

HolyRollah likes this.
  20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    With my TOBS I do three or four light swirls and go straight for the face. I swirl everything else except tubes or pushups. Those I rub straight on the face and lather.

LifesShort and CyanideMetal like this.