HOW DO YOU MANAGE YOUR ROTATION

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by preidy, Dec 29, 2015.

1. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

How do you manage your rotation? Do you use each razor in any particular sequence or do you just pick what ever tickles your fancy? I have 9 in my stable. Baring unforeseen circumstances (like a RAD induced eBay investment) I use them in order throughout each month which allows me to use each one at least 3 times. Of course any unplanned acquisition completely throws a wrench in my little choreography causing a future reset. In the number one position is a 34C then a DE89, 54 Super Speed, 55 Red Tip, 64 Slim, a "NEW", R41, Lutz slant and a 1918 single ring. I only use the Old Type on the 1st of each month, on major holidays and then on 9-11 and 12-7. I have a 54 Tech and a 37C on the sideline that I occasional put in the rotation.

RaZorBurn123 and Robyflexx like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm usually inspired by what other members are using in there SOTD.

RyX, Ahh Oui, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

i- look at Y'all's pics
    n- notice nice razors
    s- spot neglected items
    p- partake in themes
    I- look at Y'all's pics
    r- random whim
    a- admire others
    t- take advice from y'all
    I- look at Y'all's pics
    o- order on the shelf
    n- New ones take . . . .......preference

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    RyX, Ahh Oui, RaZorBurn123 and 3 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I don't really manage a rotation as much as I generally try to select a different one every day, if possible.
    On some occasions, I do a back-to-back repeat if it's a 'new' razor or I have such a GREAT shave, I look for a repeat performance.
    Right now, I've seventeen in the current rotation with three more additions coming, so I'll use a particular razor, at most, twice a month.
    razpr_per_day.jpg

7. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Usually pretty random.
    Lately though, I have been pairing scents with my body soaps.
    I get my body Soap from Rod at Stirling Soap Co. He has a huge selection.
    Now I am using a Glacial Lemon Chill body soap which I can pair with Stirling Electric Sheep and Arko. I have been bouncing back between the two as the Arko dries my face a little. I then use that shave soap until the body soap runs out. Up next is asoap I will pair with my Proraso White.

Ahh Oui and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I own about 20+ razors, but I only use one...so that part is easy. Soaps and creams are another story. It's not so much how I manage the rotation as much as how my soaps manage me. I do have many...but I made a list and taped it to the bottom of my top hat. Each morning I look into the bottom of my top hat, read the next one on the list and use that one.

Ahh Oui, RaZorBurn123 and ElectroMike like this.
  9. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I have 90 plus straight razors and I try to go through all of them and start again.

RaZorBurn123 and HolyRollah like this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I use a Random-What-Moves-Me-Today method. Or, I close my eyes and reach into the cupboard and grab one....

RaZorBurn123 and Robyflexx like this.
  11. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I am down to 14 straights and 5 or 6 DE razors. I use each straight for 5 days then Saturday use the razor that I will use in two weeks. Sunday I use the straight from a week ago. I will throw in a DE on Mondays occasionally and always while traveling. Brushes have a similar rotation but Saturday is the week before and Sunday is one week forward.

Yes I love shaving.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Slim one day, Milord the next. When my Tech comes in, it'll go into rotation. The Simplex will strictly be my travel razor.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. ElectroMike

ElectroMike Active Member

I'm in a similar situation, I only use two razors, one is a daily, the other is a weekly (once in a while I rotate in a 3rd) but I rotate my soaps, creams and brushes one after another, unless I crave a certain scent more frequently!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I will be back up to 5 DE razors by the start of 2016. I think I will rotate them by the week for a while. I'd like to stick with soaps and brushes for at least a month but I rarely stick with something that long.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I think I'd miss some of my faves if I had to wait every three months for each turn...
    ;):D

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have a rotation schedule and it goes in date order with one razor every Monday through Friday. Weekends are my wildcard days where I pick whatever I want.

Ahh Oui and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

By January, I will be up to about 40 razors, five brushes, 12 soaps, and 13 aftershave. I typically focus on one or two brushes and three razors in a month. My soap is stacked in the order I use it, and I randomly pick aftershaves that compliment the soaps.

Jim99, Troy M and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

There has to be some guy at MIT who could come up with a formula for you to choose. Maybe a supercomputer?

Jim99 and Drygulch like this.
  19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Nah, I'm good. I only shave every other day, so get about 15 shaves a month. To get to know a razor or brush, I have to use it at least 5 times in a row.

20. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

Easy, I don't have one. I use the same razor, blade, soap, brush and balm, 9 out of 10 days.

Greg W.