How does the Weber stack up

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PatrickA51, Jan 31, 2014.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

How does the Weber Razors stand up to a Merkur or Edwin Jagger ?
    I am looking at maybe getting myself one, these are Made in America. Not in England or Germany. :shaver
    Look here http://www.weberrazor.com/

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

They're stainless steel so they should last a lot longer than the Merkur or EJ. I like my Weber a lot. It's just a touch more aggressive than the EJ to me but with a Personna Lab I really like the way it shaves. Probably the best bargain going in a stainless razor.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

A great razor! You need one. You should buy one. Now.

Weishi Warrior and Slipperyjoe like this.
  4. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

They should last longer than a pot metal Merkur or EJ. But are they really better than brass razors? I would think they would rust eventually. My GEM 1912 looks like new around 100 years old and is unplated brass. It will never rust.

I found this article:
    http://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/stainless-steel-appliances-rusting-why about "stainless" steel appliances rusting. Apparently it is because manufacturers are using much less chromium and nickel to make them nowadays. Anyone know the ratios for the various stainless steel razor manufacturers?

-EDIT- just found their FAQ:

Q. Are both your handles and heads made from stainless steel?
    A. Yes, our heads and handles are 100% stainless steel. Our handles are machined from 316 marine grade stainless and our heads are made from 17-4 PH stainless. Steel is considered to be “stainless” if there is at least 10.5% Chromium by mass. The “17″ of 17-4 PH is the approximate percentage of Chromium in the metal and the “4″ is the approximate percentage of Nickel. We use 17-4 PH because it is both strong and corrosion resistant.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  5. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've had no issues with my Weber rusting even when I leave a blade in it for 4-5 days, using it every day. My Ikon slant on the other hand does have this problem. I put some mineral oil in the head before I put a blade in and still after 2-3 days, there's often some rust. So I do have to be more careful with that razor.

I agree with you though, brass is a very good material for razors. Just not as easy to find modern razors made with it. Easy to find vintage ones though.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I.M.O. the Weber is the "BEST" deal out there for a stainless steel razor..I own both a Polished head and a DLC coated head Weber, as well as an EJ89 and have never had any rust problems with either of the Webers(I use my DLC Weber daily and leave my blades in)...The Webers to me shave very similar to the EJ89, with the DLC slightly smoother than either the Polished head Weber or the EJ89..I think you'll be happy upgrading to an American made SS Weber..)

7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I'm currently using a "Old Gillette" DE, non-adjustable razor. Right now I am in a shaving sabbatical, I am waiting for some blades that were sent to me as a gift, (like a little kid waiting for Christmas) I will probably get myself one soon. All three of the above named razors are on my Amazon Wish list, besides looking for a 1951 W-1 Gillette, & a 1968 N Gillette. So I will wait a see.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

"How does the Weber Razors stand up to a Merkur or Edwin Jagger ?"
    It can't stand up - it has no legs! :happy102:

I'm going to go color, now.

9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

That's what you call a an enabling goat..:chores016:

jeraldgordon likes this.
  10. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

I have the Weber ARC, Jagger DE89L, Muhle Grande R89, Merkur Progress, Progress Long Handle, 38C, and Futur. The Weber ARC head shaves as smooth if not smoother than the aforementioned razors. The bulldog handle is knurled and provides an outstanding grip. I love variety and switch razors frequently, but could shave with either the Weber or Progress long handle everyday. I would love for Weber to offer the DLC or ARC heads again. The bottom line is you can't go wrong with the weber.

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:

PatrickA51 likes this.