how early is too early to start doing yard work?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by peacefrog, Jul 20, 2008.

1. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

My neighbor across the street is out trimming hedges with his electric trimmer at 7:15 am. I happen to be awake, but if I wasn't it probably would have woken me. I normally figure 9:00 to be safe to start such activities. FWIW, we're packed in fairly tightly here; most of us are on 1/4 acre lots. So it's not like there's much buffer between houses here.

2. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Go with the general rule of colleges for dormatory quiet hours. Mine was 9 or 930 I think. I agree 7am is a bit much.

Look on the bright side at least it was not a gas powered trimmer.:D

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I'd also agree... 9 is a fair time. I've been meaning to do some tree trimming, and there's no way i'd start before then.

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    2pm? :D

Seriously though 9.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'd say mid afternoon. The appartment complex I live in thinks its nice to start work bright and early at 7am. I've woken up to a saws-all cutting a hole through my wall and pulling out my bedroom window at 7am. I've had people walk in my room while I'm sleeping and check the CO2 detector. Mowers, trimmers, wackers, sweepers. If it'll run at 7am, they think its a good thing to do outside my window. Sometimes you just need to sleep late. I think yard work should be an afternoon activity.

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

A hedge trimmer? Across the street?! The only way I'd here that is if I was already awake anyway. That said, it really makes no difference to me. I can sleep thru anything. A chain saw at 4am would be fine.

7. azjoe

azjoe New Member

Check your local ordinances... most towns have a noise code.

In my experience, unfortunately the codes usually permit yard work/construction noise in residential areas to commence in the 7am time frame. I've sometimes seen them stated as, eg, 1-hour after daybreak, or sometimes different times for winter/summer.

8. Will

Will Nevermind

7 am doing yard work dose not bother me as much as 2 am car stereo show next door.

Yea 9am sound fair.

9. Singapura

Singapura Member

My upstairs neighbour is the worlds worst piano player. He agreed that he could play from 10 AM to 10PM (the same song for the last 2 years:eek: ) because if he doesn't I'll make sure to wake him up at 4AM every night for the coming 2 years.

10. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

How about phone calls? I have a step-brother who thinks it's perfectly OK to call at 7:30 on Saturday. he's done it every Saturday for the past month! I finally jumped on his ass about it after he called my phone, then my wife's phone - twice - before I called him back, and he had the nerve to argue with me about it. :mad:

Sure, I could put my phone on silent, but on the off chance work calls I need to answer it.

I'm buying a house and can hopefully start moving in Wednesday. I think 9 AM sounds reasonable. Now that I think about it, I like the early evening even better.

11. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I have to say I am a little surprised at the reaction to anything before 9AM. I live in a good condo building and construction work is allowed to start at 7:30AM any day except weekends when construction is not allowed because of a Condo Law. However it always boggles my mind when I overhear people complaining in the building about people vacuuming past 6PM or whatever.

Anyway in short.. if it hits 7AM it is a go for pretty much anything beyond large scale explosives. During the summer the sun is fully up by 7AM and what they do on their own property is mostly their own business IMO, unless we are talking about the large scale explosions and such. Same with phone calls personally.. 7AM-7:30AM and phone calls are acceptable since most of the world is up by then anyway.

Oh, and before anyone says it.. I routinely wake up late myself.. so I am not someone who is up by 6AM everyday... but I still realize most people are at least up by 7-7:30 and they are not supposed to cater to my sleeping habits.. :rofl

12. Traveller

Traveller New Member

We all crank the boats up and roar off at daylight,but I love the sound even on days I dont go out

13. Milton

Milton New Member

I'd say 8 on weekdays and 9-10 on weekends.

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I completely agree. I lived in an apartment complex for 3 years with "frat-boy types" below us. Every Thursday through Sunday, don't plan on sleeping until about dawn. Drove me crazy.

15. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

The way it's been here lately, if you don't start by 7 AM and finish by 10 AM, you'll get heat exhaustion, at least around our neck of the woods!

16. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Thats where I live :D

Although Tuesday nights are big now too. Sunday night sports go pretty late as well. I am now moving to a condo complex populated with grad students who dont stay up past dusk. I'm tired of the constant partying till dawn, which is when they start mowing the lawns, plowing the roads, nocking down walls or anything else they can think of. I'll just visit the places where I can party till dawn rather than living in one. 2 years is plenty.

17. KenS

KenS New Member

Not to sound hostile (which I'm not) but I was taught that only Slouchers were still in bed at 9:00, and that daylight to dusk was considered work-time. That may be overkill, but to a large degree I often stick to those hours. Now for the disclaimer; I was born and raised on the same place I live now, which used to be rural. Now with all of the city folk moving in, even I am thinking of not starting too early, but 7:15 can in no way be considered too early. Just my opinion.
    Best regards, Ken.