How I lost my Edwin Jagger DE 89!!!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Dave Paskowski, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

For the last month my family has been involved in moving to a new house. Like with all moves things get packed and then it takes forever to find them, but not my small den. I boxed all my gear in one tote and unloaded as soon as I got to the new house. Unfortunately my 16 yr. old, who is in ROTC misplaced his shaving gear. He had an inspection last Wednesday and had to shave but couldn't find his razor or can of shaving cream. So, I took the opportunity to show him the pleasures of wet shaving with a DE razor. I let him use my Edwin Jagger DE 89 loaded with a POLSILVER Super Iridium. Showed him how to face lather with a no. 6 horse hair brush and some Lavender Tea Tree TSD Wheat Shaving Cream. I also explained to him to let the weight of the razor to do the work. He was really pleased with his first DE shave. Yesterday I went to use the DE 89 and it was gone. A quick search of the house and I found it in my son's bathroom, along with a can of Barbasol. So, I did what any man would do in this situation, I gave him my DE 89, no. 6 brush, a pack of PolSi and a jar of Edwin Jagger shave cream. What else could I do?

2. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

You did what any good father would do :happy088:

BamaT likes this.
  3. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Well done Dave! As a Father who also got his Son and Grandson to discover the value of wet shaving; I salute you. I gave my Son his first DE (a '40's SS) and my Grandson a Parker TTO. They are now getting the best shaves of their lives and loving it! :happy088:

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096: Dave, the EJ89,#6 brush and Super Iridiums are all favorites of mine also..:happy088:..Thank goodness you got rid of that can of goo...:)

BamaT likes this.
  5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Great job dad! Me and my dad both wet shave too. I hope I have a son so I can teach him how to wet shave. I will teach him that method and then he can decide if he wants to stand out from the crowd, or conform with canned foam or gel.

BamaT likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Lucky kid to get started right early :) Some of us stumbled around for many more years before finding a better way the hard way.

178-bplatoon and BamaT like this.
  8. ShorTea

ShorTea Member

Very nice! You're a good Dad!

9. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

I salute you sir!

10. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

Great job Dad. I can't wait to loose one to my son. Nicely done.

11. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

I know where you are coming from my friend. Here is a photo of my Dear Departed Merkur
    20121207_193615resize.jpg
    Taken in it's prime, photo taken when I first received it as a gift from my Eldest Son, now it has gone to a better place, APPARENTLY, at my 22yr old son's place.
    To Quote Ned Kelly (Famous Australian Bushranger) while waiting on the gallows ...... "Such Is Life".
    The sad part is that I have another 22Yr old son who has not as yet discovered "Proper" Shaving.

SO well done Dave, you do your Avatar proud :signs107:

BamaT likes this.
  12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Well done Dave!!!!

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Excellent!
    Your son's face will certainly thank you for sparing it the abuse that comes from mornings spent with crummy razors & cans of goo.
    :happy096:

14. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Seventy years from now, he will probably still be getting great shaves from that DE89. One of the cool things about safety razors is that they last darned near forever.

15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That's great! My son would borrow my EJ DE, Semogue brush, and one of my soaps/creams when he would visit. He now has his own gear, a Weber DE my wife and I gave him for his birthday, and he has a couple of brushes, soaps and creams.

16. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

Well done sir!