How long does a 4oz. tub of soap last?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Joe Ingal, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

Does a tub of cream last longer than hard soap? Depending on what you use, how long does it last?

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have yet to finish any full sized soap yet, but I would say the harder the soap the more shaves you should get from it. Triple milled soaps seem to last forever, but there are many variables: brush, loading time, water hardness, etc.

The 3017 thread has some information and spreadsheets on soap usage, but many of those guys try to use a soap up as fast as possible, so your mileage may vary.

RyX and Joe Ingal like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.
    Some of us *raises hand* use way more product than actually needed for three passes. That will certainly play into how many shaves you get.

For what it's worth, I had a great shave this morning from some Sandalwood RazoRock @Robzilla gave me back in July...

...of 2013! Have about 1/3 to 1/4 left. It is in the rotation, so gets used on a regular basis. Of course, with 40 soaps in the rotation at the time...

RyX, Hodge, Joe Ingal and 2 others like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I estimate my usage at about 30 shaves per ounce of soap. I generally load for about 10 seconds with moderate splaying on the brush.

I wish Jacob @Weeper Warrior would come back and update us on his Tabac usage.

Tdmsu, Bama Samurai, RyX and 2 others like this.
  5. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Wow, I load for 30-50 seconds depending on the soap. I bet I get less than half as many shaves out of the same soap as you do. It's neat how many differences there really are in wet shavers! YMMV :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX, Joe Ingal and Linuxguile like this.
  6. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

That's why I posted this thread. I was curious as to the degree in which a tub of soap lasts.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's good to know a soap can last for years. Has the original scent changed?

7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Hard soaps/pucks last the longest, soft soaps next, followed by croaps, and creams are last. As mentioned, this really depends on a lot of factors.

If you are truly looking to elongate your soap, there are several steps you can take: Learn good loading techniques, use as little water as possible, add only a drop or two of water...and only when absolutely necessary, face lather, swirl less with the brush, etc.

If you are looking for the longest lasting soaps, it is almost impossible to beat tabac, klar, and Martin de candre. They all last years and years and years.

Joe Ingal and RyX like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Not that I can tell. I put all my soaps into their own individual small glass bowl, then put the bowl into a ziplock sandwich bag.
    Since I do have so many soaps, and each one gets used only once every month or so, the bag keeps the dust out, the scent in, and allows for stacking.

Joe Ingal likes this.
  9. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I know a guy who has more soaps than anyone I have ever encountered, and that is what he does. Bowl, Ziploc bags, and stack in boxes. It seems to work well

Joe Ingal and Matt0210 like this.
  10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I just counted - I'm at 26 soaps as of yesterday when I received three more. I find that I have 3 or 4 that I do not like and will dispose of somehow. Then I have 5 or 6 that I tend to use very often and the rest every so often. I've been using several soaps now for about 6 months, since I got back into wet shaving, and I don't see any appreciable change in the amount still in the container. Even the soft soaps are holding up. I'm thinking of actually weighing a few of the ones I use often and then reweigh them once a month to see how much does get used.

Joe Ingal, RetLEO-07 and Linuxguile like this.
  11. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

On my "normal" shave, I use MDC and load my brush for about 3 seconds and do three passes, lathering on the face. My MDC Jar is about 1/2 full (or 1/2 empty, depending on your viewpoint) after 16 months.

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Seriously?

Joe Ingal likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Do you have particularly hard water? Before creating lather the soap may need to drop the minerals out of the liquid. I've heard of shavers purchasing distilled water. Not a problem where I live.

Joe Ingal and Linuxguile like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Three months to three years depending on how often you use it. Maybe even longer.

Joe Ingal, PanChango and Linuxguile like this.
  15. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Probably the hardest milled soap is Doctor Dittmars. I went through 4 pucks and each lasted me 5 months of daily shaves with four passes. I also went scent crazy after the first because it is about as exciting as straight oatmeal for breakfast for 5 months. Creams will dry out over time so any true hard milled soap will outlast it. Croaps are another critter. You can employ all kinds of strategies up to vacume packing bars. The easiest thing is to stick them is a cool,dark closet and use the damn stuff. I've acquired vintage soaps from the 50s that still retained faint, but identifiable scent.

Joe Ingal and Linuxguile like this.
  16. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

A tub of Tobac can last more than six months. It all depends on how much I load the brush.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Joe Ingal, Tdmsu and Linuxguile like this.
  17. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Too long. So many soaps, so little time.

Joe Ingal, Tdmsu, RetLEO-07 and 4 others like this.
  18. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I'm frugal. I will wait for the couple of soaps I have on hand to get near their end of life before ordering more, yet my list of other soaps to try just keeps getting longer and longer.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Joe Ingal, Matt0210 and Demidog like this.
  19. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Yep I have hard water... it almost renders D.R. Harris and MWF useless, I barely use them because they are very hard to Lather. I'm too lazy to use distilled water plus I like using soaps like I hate them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I think my Tabac is in a magic cup. I keep using it and using it and I'm certain it isn't going down! In the last year or so, I finished a tub of Valobra fougere, a stick of Palmolive and a tub of Proraso but then I've bought another tub of Proraso; another Palmolive stick; an Arko stick; a E Jagger sandelwood puck; an Aloe puck, a Cella tub; an OSP puck (Christmas) and a mystery puck with no label (Christmas) and it's my birthday soon, there might be more - soap lasts forever in my house. It's money that runs out ;)

Joe Ingal, Tdmsu, Matt0210 and 4 others like this.