How long for technique ?

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by BigMark, Aug 8, 2014.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

It took me a good 8 months to get a solid technique while using a DE one my face to get a really good shave. I seem to to bad however with a Weber on my noggin but do pretty good with a Tech. My question is since it took me about 8 months for a good technique on my mug how long should it take for my noggin? I realize everyone learns at a different rate and I might not get an answer but I would still appreciate any input. Thanks.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

As you already know obtaining a time line on good technique is a YMMV kind of thing. However you must also factor in technique with whatever razor your using, as you see when head shaving with your Weber vs your Tech. While good technique is a must, many times technique needs to be tweeked depending on the razor used as well as the body part being shaved. As my technique improved my razor choices expanded and changed. I started out with TTO's and vintage Adjustable,s, now I only use 3 piece razors both new(Weber DLC) and vintage(Gillette NEW OC).. My shaves are consistently DFS with the occasional BBS, however experience's like razor burn, weepers, nicks, irritation and most importantly "PAIN" are all things of the past.. I've been "traditional" shaving going on 3 years now...

Long story short IMO rather than worrying about a time line, just go slow and gentle, enjoy your shaves and your shaves "WILL" improve, both in closeness and comfort, as you gain experience..:happy088:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    HolyRollah likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I like this! It is practical and applicable to pretty much all types of shaving, no matter where you shave or with what type of razor. :happy088:

mxsloan likes this.
  4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Mark, my head shaving technique took about 3 shaves to just happen. I get a smooth and close result with 2 passes every time now. I'm just now, 8 months in, figuring out the techniques for my face, but the head was quick.

Bristle Me and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I am getting better. I think I am going to focus on getting good shaves with the tech for now, and when I am satisfied I will retry the weber.

Bristle Me likes this.
  6. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I would agree stick with the razor that's most comfortable for a while before picking the weber back up. I've been doing my head for a couple of months now and I still have the occasional not great shave. For me, I only go ATG about once a week, so that's where my technique still needs some work.

BigMark likes this.
  7. Mindy Marion

Mindy Marion New Member

For you head shavers out there what products do you use when shaving (oils vs creams) and what scents do you prefer?

8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Hi Mindy, I use soaps or creams, whatever I am using on my face during that month. I don't any oils. I just apply the lather with a horsehair or boar bristle brush and shave away.

Mindy Marion likes this.
  9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I have been building up uber lather to get rid of the last of my canned goo. I haven't ventured outside of soaps yet, but just got a couple of good creams to try.

I have found that pre-shave oils seem to help with my extremely coarse hair. I've used Shave Secret and Taconic. Taconic works a little better, but leaves my skin a little more oily throughout the day. Shave Secret also has the clove smell and the hint of Menthol, neither of which am I crazy about.

Mindy Marion likes this.
  10. Mindy Marion

Mindy Marion New Member

What scents do you prefer.... I know as a woman what I prefer to smell on a man....however, would like to know what the opposite prefers too :)

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD Mindy

Nice having yet another lady in the den..:)

Mindy Marion likes this.
  12. Mindy Marion

Mindy Marion New Member

Thanks! Glad to be here...