How Long Has This Been Going On?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Leisureguy, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Recall that great song, especially sung by Diane Schuur? That's the way I felt this morning when I tried my first Method shave---well, semi-Method. I didn't read the manual, of course---I'm a guy---so I winged it, based on my recollection of Mantic's videos.

I couldn't believe what a fantastic shave I got, even with my half-ass approach. You can be sure that tomorrow's shave with be a more methodical (as it were) Method shave. And I have an order for $92 worth of the later-stage products that will go in next week. (Right now, I have just the Shavemaster Brush, the Cube (the big one, not the one in sections), and the Wet Shaving Paste. As it happens, I did use the Merkur HD head, at any rate: the Edwin Jagger Georgian.

I can't get over what a great shave it was. Why did no one tell me? :)

Here's my post on it.

BTW, the next version of the Gourmet Guide will DEFINITELY have a little section on Method shaving.

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

will it NEVER end ???

Stop.
    Now.
    Please.

My cabinet is already pulling away from the studs. NO MO !

3. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

It's too late.... :)

4. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

No doubt about it -- people are all over Methodshaving, and Michael's latest post only fuels my urge to try it out someday.

The only thing stopping me from trying it is the initial start-up cost. No way I'm spending well over $100 for an entire Method of shaving without being able to test it out first and decide whether or not it's worth investing that kind of scratch.

I don't know why Charles doesn't offer a sampler pack of a smaller type cube, and a few sample sizes of the entire range of products. I bet more guys would be less apprehensive to trying it out, and if it's as good as people claim it is, they would end up bringing even more business and exposure to RMWS.

5. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

we gots us a connection...

HEY MIKEY !!!!!
    CAR starter set.
    .................................make it happen :cool:

6. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

You can really try it for $25:

$10: the Cube, and I think I would go with the 3-section Cube.
    $15: The Hydrolast Wet Shaving Paste

You can use your own brush. (The [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSv_0MpKJU4"]Mantic video[/ame] shows use of a regular brush, though the English shape is better than the German---i.e., fan shape is better than light-bulb shape. But either can be used.) I just happened to have gotten the Shavemaster brush earlier.

That is really all that I used today: Cube and Paste. The Paste I had was unscented, which was fine.

7. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

It occurs to me that Roberts could easily create a "starter/sampler" package:

1 of the Cube sections (i.e., 1/3 of the full cube) -- approx $3.35 (full cube is roughly $10)

1/2 oz. of the unscented Wet Shaving paste in a "sample" container: Approx $2.00 (4 oz is roughly $16).

1 page of instructions, simplified: e.g., "Wet brush and the soap. Rub soap vigorously until you have plenty of lather. Put a smidge of the paste in the open center of the brush, close brush, and brush soap vigorously some more. Then apply lather to your face and shave as you usually do, lathering between passes."

I think that would get guys going---and get them interested enough, based on the results, to explore further.

This sampler pack could be sold for, like, $8.95 including shipping (it would be light), and I think it would stimulate sales a lot.

Just a thought.

8. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Agreed, but then -- like you find yourself now -- most guys would be left wanting to try the entire range of products, start to finish -- and see if the actual full "Method" does what it claims. Then we're again left with spending $100 (or more) for the gambit of RMWS products.

Ideally those .5oz product containers could be put together for $30 or $35 or so, and employ a bit of the entire process. Then if it worked so well, guys wouldn't blink twice at ordering the full sizes of the entire range, and even be repeat customers, etc.

9. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Alright you guys have a good point. I'm going to be hanging out with Charles for a bit later this evening. I'll pitch the idea and see what he thinks.

I know for fact he has always been more than willing to offer samples when you visit the store. I've come home with so many samples I often run out of places to put the stuff. Of course I'm kind of his beta tester too, so that helps for me :rofl

No promises of course.

10. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

For those of us geographically in proximity to Austin/Enchante, that would be ideal. However you guys need to move Austin out of the deep south and closer to where everybody else is. ;)

11. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Method shaving has always been a superb shave. Others speak ill of it because of personal reasons and the lemmings follow the same ill advice without having even shave using the method. I'm glad you found your way to a great shave. Enjoy.

Raf

12. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Good idea about extending the samples to include all the products, but I still think the minimal sampler---just the two products I mentioned---should be offered so people can get just a taste. Once they've tried those two, then they will be ready to move on.

I'm reminded of the old adage: "If you want a horse to jump a fence, make the fence as low as possible." If you want people to try Method shaving, make the initial hurdle as low as possible. Thus: the two-product sampler, to keep costs as low as possible.

At that point, they can order the "other" sampler pack: everything else. And then they are ready to get down to serious business.

For the sampler packs, I think it's reasonable to restrict it to unscented products period. It should be simple to keep costs (and aggravation) down.

13. mantic

mantic U TOOB

:signs046
    :signs136

14. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Isnt the Cube 100% Olive oil soap?

Issy

15. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

16. Will

Will Nevermind

Yo, you hit the nail right on the head. Big +1 here.

17. Brad

Brad New Member

I have had great method shaving experiences with any number of shaving soaps, although none are as slick as the original cube. I really like his new shaving rounds. I have also tried a number of pure vegetable or olive oil soaps that smell better than the cube.

After my ltest visit, I am firmly addicted to the grapefruit soap, although I picked up 3-4 different flavors all for about $5 each. This way, I can get daily variety as well.

IMHO, if you buy the past, soap and activator you are all in for about $35 plus shipping. You don't need cutting balm or the brush if you have a good high quality brush (bigger is better) that holds LOTS of water. The B&B Finest has worked as well for me as the S100 Shavemaster. (Small light bulb shaped brushes need not apply.)

There are a few specialty items that take method shaving to method shaving nirvana, but the are not for the beginning method shaver unless you like the sight of blood. Once you have this down, there are techniques for making very high velocity mixes that cut fantastic.

I have been method shaving for about a year and loving it. Veterans like Mike see even more new products than I do, but making it into the skilled method shaver circle introduces you to some really awesome shave experiences.

Welcome aboard Michael. It is great having guys like you and mantic jumping on the band wagon to offset some of the bad press method shaving got just a year or so ago. The products just keep evolving and the experience keeps getting better. Charles keeps refining products based on learned experiences of us, the metohd shaving community. The more feedback we give, teh better it gets. Try that with any other product line.

Brad

18. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

Shaving rounds? Grapefruit soap? I don't see these on the Web site. Link?

19. msandoval858

Shh... don't let out all the secrets ;)

20. msandoval858

Charles has a lot of things that aren't on the website. Give him a call and he'll fix you up.

Tell him to send you a lemongrass round cause I said so :rofl