How long will a cordless hair clipper last before it dies?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by venom0706, Feb 28, 2021.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

I want to buy a cordless hair clipper (simply because the blade type I am looking for is present only on cordless clippers). The clipper will be high cost/high quality professional model.

I currently live abroad and will be carrying it to my home country (no option to buy such clipper back there), in case i ever go back to live there. So it might be sitting in a drawer for years before its first use.

Therefore comes the question - how long can the clipper last, considering the above and the fact that the battery will lose charge over time? I am also not a professional and don't plan on every replacing the battery or the blades (anxious about ruining the clipper).

Worst case - if the battery has completely lost charge before it's first use - can I use with the corded cable provided?

Thank you.

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I would imagine most cordless clippers these days would have a lithium ion battery. If stored correctly, those batteries can actually last a really long time and hold a charge well. You want to store it around 60% charged, which might be difficult to determine but a little less than completely full will probably work. I have no idea if a set of clippers will drain a battery slowly but I don't know why they would. If they don't you could probably store the clippers for at least a year without the charge going down much. You do want to make sure the charge doesn't get too low. That will shorten the life of the battery.

On using with a cord, you'll have to check the directions. That may or may not work. It just depends on the design.

venom0706 likes this.
  3. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

If you are doing to store it for a while, I would run it down to 50% battery life. Beyond that, I wouldnt be concerned about it. Sure, the battery could die during that time and no longer take a charge but theres an easy way to fix that: just buy a corded clipper.

venom0706 likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Most good quality cordless clippers will draw power for use from the charge cord. The directions on my ($20) Wahl beard trimmer say to plug it in and wait about a minute before turning it on. The battery should have a lifespan of about 5-10 years, and even if it won't hold a charge anymore, should still be able to run while plugged in. Hope that helps.

venom0706 likes this.