How many SRs do you own?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Rusty blade, Jun 24, 2016.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Somewhere between 75 to 100.

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Nice to see your avitar, hope your doing well.

Rusty blade and Billyfergie like this.
  3. old-school shaver

old-school shaver Well-Known Member

Today when we left the house I said to myself I'm not looking to buy any straight razors I have 2 that I shave with and 2 that need to be restored. The second antique store we stopped at had some beautiful antiques and I hear my wife say to me from around the corner in the next aisle " you need to come over here and look through this stuff in this case".
    IMG_20160701_204052.jpg

Needless to say I purchased 3 big iron wedge razors. The quarter is there for size comparison.
    Top one is a Peters Brothers Best Quality wedge.
    Second one is a John Barber wedge.
    Third one is a Wade Butcher Sheffield wedge.
    The top and bottom razors need scales as the wedge ends are broken on the back side and they all need polishing and honeing but at 15 dollars each I figured they were a good investment. Anybody know anything about thefse razors or approximately when or where they were made. I know the W&B is a Sheffield make but don't know what year it was made any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Ken P.

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Start HERE.

Rusty blade and Billyfergie like this.
  5. old-school shaver

Thanks @RyX
    Ken P

6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Needless to say I purchased 3 big iron wedge razors. The quarter is there for size comparison.
    Top one is a Peters Brothers Best Quality wedge.
    Second one is a John Barber wedge.
    Third one is a Wade Butcher Sheffield wedge.
    The top and bottom razors need scales as the wedge ends are broken on the back side and they all need polishing and honeing but at 15 dollars each I figured they were a good investment. Anybody know anything about thefse razors or approximately when or where they were made. I know the W&B is a Sheffield make but don't know what year it was made any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

Ken P.[/quote]

John Barber was apprenticed in 1802 and gained the Freedom of the Guild of Cutlers in 1823. Being granted Freedom practically means he had served his apprenticeship and practised as a journeyman cutler for a period, before establishing his own mark (the compass and square). However, his company was making cutlery and flatware in the 1820s and strops and razors by the time he acquired his freedom, so there must be some sort of reason why there is such a large gap between apprenticeship and freedom being granted. In 1823 the company was at 29 South Street, Sheffield, before moving to Norfolk Street in 1828. After his death in 1834 the company continued as John Barber & Son. In 1839 they were also advertising themselves as successors to George Shepherd and were using the well-known Shepherd 'Wolf' mark - which was used by a variety of makers and has already confused many on this forum as to the true identity of the razor maker. Marks were 'fluid' things and often changed hands, it seems.

The company died in stages. The 'Old English' line of razors was sold off to Stephen Martin in 1847. In 1864 another John Barber - the grandson of the original John Barber - set up in the razor and cutlery business at the Portland Works in West Street, and used the old marks. The company did not survive after 1871 and never re-emerged again. But their marks did - they were used by Hall & Colley and Joseph Elliot.

That information is what I have found, it was sourced by the late Neil Miller, Who used to run/own "The Strop Shop" HE was a very active member on a few shaving forums and always a fantastic source of information, especially with vintage Sheffield's and Hones.

Me personally I have 80 ish straight razors (One custom and the rest Vintage), about 10 are in my rotation the rest, need honing and/or full restoration, not easy finding time with work etc....... and having to walk the dog twice a day at least.

Jim99, Keithmax, Bama Samurai and 4 others like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I Just Won this Minty Well Hidden NOS Lewgold Imports Rochester NY Made in Germany 6/8th from the USA..I Got it for a Steal..I wanted a USA SR & this is It..I am Delighted..:D

I cant find any Intel on this SR..The Box Doesn't appear to Match Up...I Could be Wrong..I was Wondering if any of You Boys from Across the Pond can Enlighten Me in Anyway about this SR that was Made for the USA Market..:signs002:

Billy..:chores016:

8. old-school shaver

John Barber was apprenticed in 1802 and gained the Freedom of the Guild of Cutlers in 1823. Being granted Freedom practically means he had served his apprenticeship and practised as a journeyman cutler for a period, before establishing his own mark (the compass and square). However, his company was making cutlery and flatware in the 1820s and strops and razors by the time he acquired his freedom, so there must be some sort of reason why there is such a large gap between apprenticeship and freedom being granted. In 1823 the company was at 29 South Street, Sheffield, before moving to Norfolk Street in 1828. After his death in 1834 the company continued as John Barber & Son. In 1839 they were also advertising themselves as successors to George Shepherd and were using the well-known Shepherd 'Wolf' mark - which was used by a variety of makers and has already confused many on this forum as to the true identity of the razor maker. Marks were 'fluid' things and often changed hands, it seems.

The company died in stages. The 'Old English' line of razors was sold off to Stephen Martin in 1847. In 1864 another John Barber - the grandson of the original John Barber - set up in the razor and cutlery business at the Portland Works in West Street, and used the old marks. The company did not survive after 1871 and never re-emerged again. But their marks did - they were used by Hall & Colley and Joseph Elliot.

That information is what I have found, it was sourced by the late Neil Miller, Who used to run/own "The Strop Shop" HE was a very active member on a few shaving forums and always a fantastic source of information, especially with vintage Sheffield's and Hones.

Me personally I have 80 ish straight razors (One custom and the rest Vintage), about 10 are in my rotation the rest, need honing and/or full restoration, not easy finding time with work etc....... and having to walk the dog twice a day at least.[/quote]

Thank you @alpla444 that was so good reading I appreciate it very much.

Ken P.

Keithmax, Rusty blade and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I am no expert, so take my comments with an appropriate grain of salt. First...a very nice razor. Well done. I like SRs that shine. I think you are right...the box doesn't match the SR. I have a Genco and it is clearly stamped on the tang with the Genco trademark.

Billyfergie likes this.
  10. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I have three:
    T.T.C. Premier
    Koeller Paramount
    Torrey 4/8

I'm still learning how to strop and shave so these are a good start. They are all around 4/8 - the first two probably were 5/8 at one time.

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I was looking at this one last night. Box is from a USA cutlery company. Razor appears very minty indeed. It is a vintage razor made in Germany and imported to the US. Should be a great shaver, and you won't have to worry about polishing it up.

12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Thanks Guys..I am Looking Forward to Getting it..I got this for a Song as Well..:)

Billy..:chores016:

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

toyota caddy.gif

Like the difference between a Toyota and a Cadillac, things change with taller blades. I do enjoy a 4/8 but the added height of 6/8+ makes for better angle of attack control. The extra weight could be a factor as well.

Rusty blade, Jim99, Tdmsu and 3 others like this.
  14. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Thank you for that. I am thinking about getting a larger blade at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Right there with you Jamie. Down to 12.

16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Someday i'll destined to join the ranks of the dirty dozen….eventually. Quality over Quantity...

17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

You can send me some of the exrtras

Rusty blade and Drygulch like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I find a heavier blade to be more stable and easier to control, as well as having better glide quality.

Rusty blade, Tdmsu and RyX like this.
  19. ejmolitor37

ejmolitor37 Member

I have 3. I have 2 that are shave ready and one that is going to be sent to Glen very soon. I look at every little antique shop and round here it is hard to find any that are not just trash. Plus I have to tell myself a lot to just walk away, I have an addictive personality so I would buy straight up junk and be happy just looking at it. But at the end of the day I am glad I just walk away and wait for better prospects.

Rusty blade, mrchick and RyX like this.
  20. I have nine but only 3 are used on a regular basis. The others are older vintage blades where as the 3 I use are higher end better quality and shave much better.

Rusty blade likes this.