How not to do ebay

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fritz, Oct 3, 2007.

1. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

If he wishes to call brass gold... so be it. :rolleyes:

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Geez. Whatever happened to honor? I have another one with perfect feedback and I won an item and now they are refusing to honor the sale and have relisted the item. That's two complaints I have outstanding now with eBay. The first one will go nowhere I figure and they'll be getting a strong worded negative shortly. Not much of a loss. $.99 cent razor plus shipping but where is the honor? I'm a former power seller on eBay with 4400+ positive feedbacks and not once did I not honor a sale whether I made a mistake in the listing or took a loss on an item. Pisses me off. Hopefully, I can guilt this one into doing the right thing. :D

3. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

What auction number? Tell you what... I'll send you a razor to make up for it... ;)

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

You'll send me a razor? Kool!!! :D

Update: The first one came through finally after 2 months and the second one is a lost cause. They resold it for more money. Nothing I can do except complete complaint process and file negative.

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Update:

Here's how it went.
    1) Won an item on eHay
    2) Seller lost money on it and refused to sell it.
    3) Filed complaint with eHay
    4) eHay finds seller guilty and slaps hand but can't force seller to cough up item.
    5) I post a negative on Seller's profile after eHay finds guilty and they tell me to use the feedback system.
    6) Seller retaliates with a negative calling me a "Hungry Rat" and a poor buyer.
    7) I file a complaint with eHay about retaliatory feedback.
    8) eHay cops out and hides behind policies. Does nothing except to tell me to respond to negative with my own comment. I write back and tell them they should never have let the seller file a feedback after finding seller guilty of a contract violation. They respond so sorry, use the feedback system, won't pull negative from me.
    9) I'm scr****. I posted response to negative. I'm so ________ (fill in blank)

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Thats a big thing about eBay that I hate. I have four items right now that I paid for within minutes of winning the items. You think I would have received feedback already..............NO!!!! Im sure that ill receive the feedback after I the buyer leaves them feedback.

The new feedback system sucks anyway......no one reads the comprehensive as much at they look at the % and go from there.

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That really sucks, Rich! I agree Ebay should not allow the seller to leave feedback after finding the seller guilty.

However, I have to say bad feedback will hurt a seller more than it will hurt a buyer. Sellers shouldn't give feedback before a buyer does. It protects sellers, and their reputation. There are a lot of people out there that are NOT nice, and could care less about the seller. Sellers have to look out for themselves, if they wish to continue selling on Ebay. I never leave feedback first, as a seller. I've been burnt before by doing so.

Ebay needs to find a better feedback system, plain and simple.

8. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

If I ever consider buying from eBay I go through feedback with a fine tooth comb, actually READING comments.

eBay needs a lot of fixing, not just in feedback but also in seller disclosure. Many times I have looked for Japanese CDs and such and NO mention of being bootlegs.

I know it is a seller thing, but there should be some penalty or something for dishonest sellers beyond 'feedback'

9. Queen of Blades

True, Ken.

I always wish I could just click to see the negative feedback. Nobody really reads the positive feedback. Why would people waste time reading the good? When purchasing on Ebay, we want to know why a seller got a negative. I hate scrolling through a million pages of feedback just to find the negatives, but I do.

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Agreed. As a power seller for many years, I know very well how I had to protect myself from not so nice buyers. I had 2 negatives during that time and both where retaliatory for negatives we had to give for non-paying buyers. eHay's answer would be that the system is not perfect but it works most of the time. I stopped selling on eHay though because of other reasons. 1) The fees are outrageous. 2) Too many sellers in my marketplace were selling very poor quality products and marketing them as nice stuff but the pictures did not really show the differences between a piece of crap versus a high end item a lot of times. This was when digital cameras where still pretty new. It killed the marketplace. 3) A lot of my industry's high end manufacturers threatened to stop selling to us if we put their stuff on eHay. On-line store was OK but not new product in auctions. They even gave us minimum price levels to protect the Brisk & Mortar stores.

11. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Here ya go, JoAnna

http://www.toolhaus.org/

12. Queen of Blades

13. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Same here. I have 100% positive feedback with almost 3,000 transactions. About half the time, I don't leave feedback because the buyer doesn't leave feedback for me first.

I think eBay's feedback system works extremely well. I've never failed to bid just because of negative feedback but I do lower the amount I'm willing to pay. I've picked up bargains that way. In one case, no one was bidding where the seller had a 92% rating but everything worked out well for me.

Richard

14. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

We had a 99.9% rating with 4000+ feedback and 2 negs. This was before arbitration/mutually agreed withdrawal procedures were put in place. We gave feedback as soon as the buyer communicated with us and paid for the item. They did their part, played by the rules and so on. Our feedback to them was never tied to us receiving feedback. They don't have to leave feedback if they don't want to. If they failed to pay or backed out on a sale, then they got a negative unless there was understandable circumstances. If they failed to communicate and slow on payment, they got a neutral.

Now, if they failed to contact us about a problem and automatically hit us with a neutral or something, that was kind of unfair since problems do come up and we should have a chance to make it right if we could. Like I said, this was long before the arbitration/mutual withdrawal system went into play. That is certainly a good addition to the feedback system.

In my recent problem, I played by all the rules, the seller broke a contract, I got slammed for it and I'm SOL. Where's the fairness in that? Like I wrote to eHay. I am huge on integrity and fairness. The negative being left on my record implies that I don't have integrity and certainly is not fair. That's hitting me in my core beliefs. I'm not saying I'm a saint. God help me no but, when it comes to business dealings, I don't screw with my reputation. We won't talk about my reputation on here. :D

15. gugi

gugi New Member

The thing is that ebay won't do anything until they start loosing money, or their shares start decreasing. The same with ebay's owned paypal - they are one of the most horrible and dishonest payment processors, and have just started making small changes in response to google trying to get some traction in certain markets.
    Everybody has been complaining from the same issues with the feedback system for years, yet as long as ebay keeps making more money, from their point of view it's working.
    It doesn't seem fair, but I don't think it's supposed to be fair - yahoo closed their auctions and there just isn't anything to compete against ebay, so they can be as abusive as their customers will bear.

16. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Once upon a time, you could sort the feedbacks by negative or positive.

17. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

As long as we are talking ebay and and solving problems. A few weeks or maybe months ago I won a few straights on Ebay. I had them shipped directly to Lynn Abrams. Well nothing has shown up there. the seller hasan't heard anything.

My question is... Which one of YOU intercepted the shipment? And how did you do it? Just kidding.

I guess it is just lost, hopefully it pops up somewhere.

18. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Sorry to hear about the razors going astray Joe. And ummm...no, it wasn't me. I've been accused of trying to cheat a seller by bidding what I thought the item was worth, not my fault no one else bid on it, but never steal the actual item. :D

19. vgod

vgod New Member

i don't have negative feedback, and hopefully won't anytime soon. however i have a new rule. when i buy something from you and pay for it, you owe me feedback. positive or negative. my side of the transaction has taken place. until i get that feedback, you will not get yours. i only have like 20 or so transactions, so i am not trying to hit that gold shooting star anytime soon. you don't want to give me feedback, fine by me. but you will not get any either.

i also leave the comment that i have sent my payment, and feedback would be appreciated upon receipt of payment.

if that ain't good enough, to bad.

vgod

20. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

+1 to all that. Ive been a member of ebay for 8 years...but only have a rating for 57. I really dont care much for the rating...i do have 3 negatives...that were all retaliation ratings :(