How not to do ebay

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fritz, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I have no problem with a buyer not leaving feedback.

I'm just not going to leave feedback first and expose my selling reputation to the "not-so-nice" people on Ebay who are looking to take advantage of sellers.

Anyone who has done a bit of selling on Ebay can understand the situation. A buyer's end of the deal isn't just paying for the item. Sellers need to know buyers are honest, and won't attempt to rip them off.

Can I ask, what is wrong with leaving the seller positive feedback first? If you received your item as described in a fair amount of time, what does a buyer have to fear by leaving feedback first? The seller can't get more money out of you. They can't take the item back. They can't hurt your Ebay buying career. A buyer has nothing to fear from leaving positive feedback first.

Negative feedback, I can understand. No one wins there, no matter how you slice it. :(

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I have always bought on Ebay, never sold. I think in just about every case but one or two where I had dealt with a seller before and he knew me, I have left feedback first. I completely understand where you are coming from. You could have the best transaction in the world, and then have the buyer leave crappy feedback because the package got help up by a postal boo-boo. No, I have no problem with a seller waiting until I have posted my feedback before he/she posts theirs.

3. vgod

vgod New Member

if i buy something from you, and pay for it quickly and as requested, my portion of that transaction is done. you should leave feedback for what part of the deal i have lived up to. if i get my package as described in a fair amount of time, what does a seller have to fear by leaving feedback first? now if i get my package, and it is not up to snuff, then i need to discuss that with you prior to my leaving feedback, which i have done. i know not everyone abides by being a gentleman, but i cannot control others. if i bought from you, i paid on time in the manner described, then you should leave feedback. i have 4 items i need to leave feedback for now, which would add almost a 1/4 more feedback to my score. don't care. i deserve it first.

vgod

4. vgod

vgod New Member

question is, did you contact the seller to try to make things right prior to leaving feedback for them? if i leave you feedback first, i am setting myself up for anything. screw that.

ratings schmatings! i'm with you. ::

vgod

5. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

yeah..of course....cause you know what happens when you put that red flag up. I emailed for about 1 week....with no responses. That was then.....this is now......like I said...i dont really care for the feedback now...if I remember fine....if not.....fine...no worries :)

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That question has already been answered, I believe.

Seems this discussion is being held on a very personal level for you. My points are in general, and not directed at any one person.

If you don't care about feedback, why argue about it?

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Nothing wrong with this JoAnna. Like any feedback situation, there is one element to it that always comes into play. Waiting to see what the first person gives for feedback. The person who leaves feedback first sets the tone. It sounds like you had a couple of situations as a seller where you had left feedback first and then got hit with a not so nice buyer feedback or you know somebody this happened to. That's unfortunate.

Feedback systems are always open to abuse unless there is maybe third party mandatory arbitration. In the case of eHay, maybe they should require a dispute resolution case be filed before you are allowed to post a negative feedback and maybe no negatives at all but have case results only. Positive, neutral, case result ruled in favor, case result ruled against. Now eHay would just argue that this would be too much resources used. I say it wouldn't. You know why? Just the threat having mandatory arbitration would keep people more in line and honest. The feedback system has have teeth and it has to be fair.