How often do you clean your DE Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lgagnon, Mar 10, 2010.

1. lgagnon

lgagnon Member

Hello Shaveden members it's my first post. I am using a DE for 2 months. I have a Weishi gun metal. I like it a lot. I am wondering how often do you clean your DE? I saw Mantic's video on how to clean one abd I did it. I t worked well using vinegar. I just want to know if it's normal.

wristwatchb likes this.
  2. Penhooligan

Penhooligan New Member

Out of all the times I've shaven I have never really "cleaned" my DE other than rinsing and wiping the parts when changing the blade. I have heard of people using scrubbing bubbles to clean their razors.

3. SRD

SRD Well-Known Member

I have a lot of razors in my rotation. I will use a particular razor for the duration of the blade life...3 to 4 shaves on the average. After each of the 3 to 4 shaves I just rinse the razor and put into a holder. After the blade life is over, I thoroughly clean the razor with scrubbing bubbles, air dry, buff it with a soft cloth and put it away until it comes back up in rotation.

4. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

I've used Mantics method once or twice in the past three years... I don't see the point of all the work when right after my next shave the razor is back to what it looked like before I did all of that. I just scrub mine with a toothbrush whenever I change the blade.

Brushes on the other hand get a good cleaning once or twice a year due to my hard water.

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I have a lot of vintage razors, and when I got them, I gave them very thorough cleanings and disinfections. After all, I didn't know where they'd been, and several were very dirty. After that, though, I didn't worry about it that much. When I'm putting a razor away for a while to use another one, I give it a quick scrub with a toothbrush to get rid of some of the soap scum.

Mind you, I'm not saying that this is the right way to do it, it's just what I do.

lloydrm likes this.
  6. Moe

Moe Active Member

+1

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I just keep a can of Scrubbing Bubbles, that stuff works. Just spray and let it sit a minute , rinse and done.

If you get a old Gillette, SB, a Dremel and Maas metal polish will bring it back to like new.

8. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

I clean it when I change the blades. Before putting a new one, I clean it using soap and a toothbrush. Rinse it with water and it's really good. Didn't see the point going to extremes to clean it with all kind of super cleaning solutions. I might do that twice a year or something.

CarlfromMO and Knox like this.
  9. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

:sihns011

10. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

+1 That pretty much describes my routine too.

11. tsmba

tsmba New Member

Any mild cleaner for a brief soak, followed by a light brushing with a toothbrush does the trick. I tend to clean my daily razor(s) every two weeks or so to remove soap scum. I can go longer, but I don't like to let it build up.

12. drw6895

drw6895 New Member

I clean it when I replace the blade. I have a Merkur Vision, so I clean the top out vs. take the whole razor apart. I also have an EJ Chatsworth which is easy to clean.

13. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I clean all my razors, DE, SE, Injector, after each shave. I do this cause I change razors from shave to shave and just move the blade from one razor to another. All I do is rinse it under hot water and then towel dry before hanging it on my razor rack.

As for a thorough cleaning and polishing I just do that when the razor seems to be losing the "shine" for those that shine and the rest maybe a couple to three times a year.

14. Uncle Chewbacca

Uncle Chewbacca New Member

Never...it's like that coffee pot in your office; the longer you let it sit there and accumulate, the better it is.

Col C likes this.
  15. PS27

PS27 Member

I'm keeping mine pretty clean as I go--no real scum or other build up to battle so far. As I see a clog or something wrong a little extra sloshing or blowing keeps things in good shape over the long haul. I did a good disinfecting simply with alcohol, soap and water when I got my '57 super speed, but I don't for see the need for heavy duty cleaning for a good while yet. But I'm sure one day when I've nothing else to research I may come back to this and feel compelled to do more.

16. soopercat

soopercat New Member

After every shave with a soft toothbrush (for razors only) and the same non fluoride toothpaste that I brush my teeth with.

Kind regards,

17. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Every Sunday, whether the blade in it is one use old or not. It has become a ritual, now.

18. TimV

TimV Member

I clean every razor whenever I replace the blade. Typically use an old toothbrush dipped in ammonia.

19. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I clean mine every week when i change the blade in my razor whit an old toothbrush and some soap.

20. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

When it looks like it needs it. Since my Merkur Progress has been in use only two weeks so far and doesn't look like it needs it yet.