How often do you clean your DE Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lgagnon, Mar 10, 2010.

1. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

Ha! Well done!!!

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Euwww.
    Soft toothbrush and Dawn dish liquid, but only when they loose the shine I like to see in my SOTD photos.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's a very mild abrasive. It works.

tuxxdk likes this.
  4. Goodlad

Goodlad Active Member

I wipe mine down after every use. I apply Witch Hazel to my face with a cotton pad, so once I am done with the face, I then use the cotton pad to wipe my razor. It brightens it right up. I will wipe the inside whenever I am changing the blade. I have not had it long enough to do a toothbrush scrub, but I am following this thread with interest to see what others do.

5. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

After each shave I remove the blade and do a very good hot rinse, towel wipe/dry. Less than a minute in time. No further cleaning required.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I usually clean up at the end of a week of shaves. Polmolive dish soap w/oxy and an old toothbrush. With my NEW SC I might hit it with some MAAS metal polish to make her look pretty.

7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I rinse my Merkur 34c well with hot water after each shave - nothing else. Its been about three months now and it is as shiny as the day I got it.

8. rustypixel

rustypixel Active Member

Not wanting to take this thread into a totally different realm, but I'd like to know if there any special methods I should be following to keep a rhodium plated razor clean? I like to clean my FatBoy once every other week and so far it's been handled with hot water and dish soap left soaking over night and dried with a microfiber cloth. So far it's looking great but a couple of times I've hit it with a few squirts of CLR foaming bath and kitchen cleanser and allowed the razor to soak in the foam for about 4 or 5 minutes and I just want to know if that's OK for the plating. Also, will soaking it in hot, soapy water be enough to clean out the inner workings?

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

After each shave I break it down and dry thoroughly. If need be I'll give my razor an alcohol bath.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thorough cleaning not after every use, but I, like @RaZorBurn123 do rinse and wipe my razor clean. If I am on the road and the razor is seeing daily use, then it'll get a good cleaning.

11. DentonMajik

DentonMajik Well-Known Member

I will use a soft bristle brush under running water and then wipe down with alcohol prep pads.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

12. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

soap and toothbrush at blade change.

13. Bill G

Bill G Well-Known Member

Disassemble rinse and wipe down my razors completely after every use. Then I place them in a razor stand with (soft head covers on them, purchased at Maggard Razor). All my razors look brand spanking new. None of them have any finish, wear or corrosion issues at all. It only really takes about 3 to 5 minutes of my time after a shave to take care of my razor.

Happy Shaves,
    Bill G

Demidog likes this.
  14. rawfox1

rawfox1 Well-Known Member

After every shave disassemble rinse and let dry, than use a polishing cloth and assemble back with blade

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Only when I first get one. Then, never. Closest I come is the 91% alcohol dunk, and that is for the blade. I do loosen the head or doors post-shave to let it dry but that's it.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Clean? You're supposed to do that?

17. WetShave58

WetShave58 Well-Known Member

Currently I rotate between a 1938 Senator and a 1941 Ranger Tech and clean after each shave using a toothbrush and Mild soap.

18. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I sort of clean it when I change blades, which is usually around ten shaves, sometimes more.

19. jsw41

jsw41 Member

I disassemble, wipe the bottom plate, use a small stiff brush to remove crud from blade, rinse and blow dry to get water drops off the blade, reassemble and wipe the top cap, then hang the razor for tomorrows shave.

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I disassemble, rinse and swish it in alcohol to help keep the soap scum off; after each use. Takes about 30 seconds.