How old is your car?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by J_Man, Sep 24, 2014.

1. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I've started to realize that I've been driving my current vehicle for a ridiculously long time.

A 1987 Mercedes 560 SEL that was given to me in 1992. I've been driving it every day since, except in snow because it's a rear wheel drive. I'm thinking that it's time to move on to something modern.

So am I the only one, or do any of you tend to keep a car for as long as possible?

mb.jpg

ObiDon and Peter Cupitt like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

One of my cars is a 1987 Toyota Corolla. My wife wants me to get rid of it, my car has been the subject of many conversations in our house. I've had the car 12 years, paid $300, never have tuned it up, no breaks, I add a quart of oil every so often, passes smog, can clim hills, truck through snow. Insurance is $250 year, it's s beast! am radio and no AC. She's good for another 12 years.

3. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I have a 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood,(the last Cadillac rear wheel drive), and 1996 Buick Roadmaster station wagon, (the last full size wagon), and a 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood (a smaller front wheel drive.)
    I like buying used low mileage luxury cars and driving them until the end.
    The first two are both rear wheel drive and I drive them all Winter in northern Minnesota.

entropy1049, ObiDon, fram773 and 2 others like this.
  4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Boats on wheels. I like it!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

sweet car. I've always wanted a 560 sel, my grandfather drove one years ago. I almost bought a SDL a while ago, still ran nice at 400k. timeless body style imo.

My car is RWD too, but I force it against its will to drive in the snow and even on beaches
    2014-09-24 03.17.20.png

J_Man, Ryan B, ObiDon and 3 others like this.
  6. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

I have a 1991 VT Holden Commodore V6 Sedan (Thats an Aussie GM) AND 1964 "EH Holden, Station Wagon" (Thats an Aussie GM) AND a 1946 Chevrolet 1300Cwt truck Being restored to drive regularly.
    So nothing newer than ~24 Yrs old

ObiDon and Herm2502 like this.
  7. J.F. Martin

that's going to be unreal, any pics?

8. Peter Cupitt

I'll see if I can post a couple of pics soon

9. Peter Cupitt

Well here are a few to start things off
    1991 VT Holden Commodore V6 Sedan (Thats an Aussie GM) IMAG0170.jpg
    1964 "EH Holden, Station Wagon" (Thats an Aussie GM) EH _ The Beginning 005.jpg
    1946 Chevrolet 1300cwt (1 Ton) truck (single 8 stud rear wheels) IMGP0105.JPG

BigMark and Herm2502 like this.
  10. J.F. Martin

all looking good, that truck would be a lot of fun

11. Peter Cupitt

I told my wife, that when I die, she can darn well prop me up behind the wheel of my 1964 EH Holden Station Wagon, dig a big hole with a ramp into one side and push the whole car (me and all) into the hole and fill it in. I am determined to be a pharoh and take it all with me ;) She says don't be silly, I'll sell it. I told her she will never sell it with a body in it !!! :cool:

12. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

What's wrong with rwd in show? Funny as hell, and with proper tires, no traction issues :)

I/we drive a 2005 Skoda Fabia and a 2006 VW Passat.

Shaver X and Herm2502 like this.
  13. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I guess mine isn't old compared to these, it's a 2004. It is the only car I've ever owned though and I've put pretty much all the miles on it myself.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  14. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I gave up my car and only use my bike. But, when I had cars I always ran them to the ground. My record is a 1964 Chevy Belair with 355,000 on it that I had from 1995-2000.

fram773 likes this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Old…especially as my sons view it. Early 2001 Volvo S80 Turbo 6 (T6).
    It has two cigarette lighters, 2 ash trays, an early hands-free phone plug in, and the REAL old piece of hardware…a CD and cassette player….;)
    Only 157k miles…..just barely broken in…..
    [​IMG]

Shaver X, Boojum1, fram773 and 2 others like this.
  16. markjnewcomb

Wow! You're up early this morning.

17. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Just got an Infiniti G37 last October. SWMBO says the new car smell is gone.

I said "Too bad".

ObiDon likes this.
  18. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I drive a 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Sport 4x4. I bought it in 2004 with low miles, still has just under 100k on it. Runs awesomely. Still really comfortable. And, it's paid for. Also, it goes anywhere and has saved my life 2-3 times in the last 10 years. I had it with me when I used to work out in an undisclosed location of the NV desert, so it's been sand blasted a few times and unfortunately the paint is worse for the wear. Due to that I'll likely be the last person to ever own it as no one would likely ever give me what it's worth.

If it runs well, why replace it? Why spend $300-400 a month on a new payment so you can ride around like you're the queen of England?

Shaver X and tuxxdk like this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Up since a bit before 4 this morn. Prayer room opened today @5:00 so I'm on-duty this morning.

Adonis and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  20. markjnewcomb

That is exactly why I have always run my cars until they dropped.