How Some of it is Done

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bill, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

For the curious, the following link will take you to three videos I did last summer to answer questions from customers and forum members. I also did them to practice for the more important video entries to my restoration book on cd.

The instructional cd has an hour of my lame acting abilities and reinforces the stereotype that guys are single-task oriented. As you will see, I can't seem to grind and talk at the same time.

This is duplication information that has been available elsewhere, so if you've already seen them, don't expect a change. sorry....

http://www.billysblades.com/workingscales.htm

2. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Wow Bill, so you actually make blades from scratch? Do you hone? What else do you do honey, this is very cool and I can't wait to learn more from you! :D

3. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Both knives and razors. I've got six on my workbench that I need to finish up and get to the heat treater.
    http://www.billysblades.com
    I can also get carried away, as witnessed by this 12/8 pip squeak that I made for someone this past Christmas...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Good God... would that be a knife or a razor..... :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Edit... Oh, that violin razor is really something!! Wow!

5. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Wow, thats a nice lookin razor. I'm quite impressed.

6. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency Member

You should be, Bill's work is amazing. I have a pair of scales that he made for me. It's my favorite razor.

7. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

I am really excited that Bill agreed to come here and share his information with us.. I am awed at his knowledge and very, very excited! :)

8. Frankenface

Frankenface New Member

Bill is truly an asset to the art! There are few people in this hobby that don't at least have his restoration cd. He probably doesn't realize his impact on this hobby, but he's among the top 5 most knowledgable people I can think of when it comes to straights. There are others that do good work, but they probably learned from Bill.
    -Fred

9. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

WOW

Wow I just checked some of the before and after pics from your website.

most impressive it means I should have gotten me 4 straights that I let go they ended pretty cheaply about $10 or so. but some were pitted but not as much as the examples you showed ! I guess a little pitting can be restored to almost invisible certainly compared to the pitting examples you showed.

I have been thinking of buying a Dremel to perhaps get rid of pitting and clean the straights?