How to clean a blade with gold etch

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Rusty blade, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I recently picked up two Boker razors at an antique shop. They are in very good condition, but they do need a bit of TLC on the blades. If there was no gold on the blade I would just go through my usual polishing routine with 1K, 1.5K and 2K wet/dry and then Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish. I don't want to disturb the gold on the blades and I am wondering how to approach these blades. Any suggestions?
    2 bokers.jpg

2. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

Well, the only time I tried to do this, I covered it with some electrical tape..... When I pulled off the tape, some gold came with it! I’d also like to know the answer myself!

Nice scores btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty blade likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Vulpex Liquid Soap from Picreator Enterprises

It won't remove rust. It will removed any kind buildup from soap, skin or blood, etc...

once diluted with water, you apply it to the object with a cloth. Don't scrub. Let it sit for 10 minutes, adding the diluted mixture when it starts drying. Also, use exam gloves. You don't want to have much contact with it.

*Copy pasted from straight razor place forum.

Paul76 and Rusty blade like this.
  4. Rusty blade

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds complicated...and toxic. There is really no rust to speak of, just some tarnish and maybe some easily removed stain. If there was no gold I would say a bit of 1.5K and 2K wet/dry and some Mothers would bring this back to its original state. Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  5. Rusty blade

My thoughts exactly. I may just end up using a bit of mineral oil or just some Dawn soap and a cotton cloth and gently polish....and try to avoid the gold. That's the darn thing about gold...pretty to look at but so easily disturbed.

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Painters tape, then carefully cut it around the gold. Or, make a template with some thin paper, apply it to the top of the painters tape and cut around the template. You have to be very very careful with the polishing. I hear some use erasers and wrap the sandpaper around it, and carefully sand around the tape.

AGHisBBS, Paul76 and Rusty blade like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I've removed gold etch on one of my razors with dish soap and a soft toothbrush. It's extremely delicate. The above mentioned soap is the only thing I've read of that won't hurt the etching.

Painter's tape might do the trick, but I wouldn't leave it on there very long.

Rusty blade likes this.
  8. Rusty blade

I agree...it's just too delicate to take a chance. I will focus on polishing the reverse side of the blade and try my best to polish the etch side by working around the gold. Fortunately these two razors were inexpensive...and I know they will hone up nicely...gold or no gold.
    (Note to self: don't ever buy a gold frost etched straight razor)

Dansco likes this.
  9. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Amen to that! I bought a mint condition GOTTA, pre war, with gold on it.

I had to buy another two razors as it was my only one, and now I don't use it.

Rusty blade likes this.
  10. doc226

doc226 Member

Cover the gold and etch with nail polish, you can polish away with whatever method you want, acetone to remove the nail polish.

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    That's brilliant!
    :happy096:

Edison Carter likes this.
  12. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Sorry for responding to an old thread but I am working on restoring an ERN with gold on the blade. Would the acetone remove the gold on the blade?.

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

take advice from an expert. @doc226 knows his stuff.

14. doc226

doc226 Member

It does not.

15. Suhrim21

Suhrim21 Well-Known Member

Good to know. I will try that. Thanks