How To: Clean a Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by qhsdoitall, Feb 15, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I know a couple of threads have mentioned ways to clean your brush either when you first get it or when it starts to lose it's ability to hold water. This is a place to post your personal brush cleaning routine.

2. Baron

Baron New Member

I clean mine everyday with Mama Bear's soap :D

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

:rofl I think most of us clean out brushes pretty well after each shave by just rinsing them and then sorta shaking out the excess water and allowing them to air-dry.

I guess a case could be made for cleaning your brushes, though, if you have a number of them and rotate around them every so often. If you didn't clean them out too well when they were last used, or when you get new ones, they will probably need cleaning out.

I've seen a lot of suggestions, from shampoo to borax to pet deodorizers. Just make sure anything you use doesn't have any harsh detergents or bleach. These are natural hair (at least the boar and badger ones...I guess synthetics would be a different story), so a mild shampoo would work pretty well. Any other ideas?

4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I think the recommended method used to clean a brush is to soak it in Borax. Must admit I have never done this with any of my brushes. I have only ever had to clean one brush....my Shavemac in finest. I only ever use this brush for creams, and after a few months of use ....it suddenly stopped being a "lather machine". I just washed it thoroughly in washing up liquid.....dried it out ...and thankfully it was restored to its former glory!

5. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Yeah, I think maybe even Woolite or a delicates wash might work, too.

6. RAMTIP

RAMTIP New Member

I use Em's method as outlined in Leisureguy's blog: Soak in Dawn solution for 5-10 minutes then rinse and soak in 9:1 water/white vinegar solution with some glycerin for 10 min.

I have pretty hard water so my brush will start to hold a soap-film if I don't clean it every couple of weeks. When the brush tends to want to float in the mug and I see the film buildup on the bristles it's time to wash.

7. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Tom, good tip. Thanks!

8. Htownmmm

Htownmmm Member

Soak in brush powder purchased from classicshaving; rinse; then soak in conditioner and rinse again.

Marty

9. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I simply have not concerned myself with cleaning my brushes. I simply rinse well and shake well (the brush, not me) after each shave. I haven't seen a need to do more than that.

10. Shani

Shani New Member

Some nice additions made to the forums, Well, I would say that We should first Dip the brush into the warm wateand then apply any anteseptic etc to maek it germs free. Than we should start with the rozor. Am I right ?

11. xEliteGunnerX

xEliteGunnerX New Member

I do the same are we twins? Sometimes I clean em' out good thought because they get kinda dirty and nasty. Hopefully you do the same :p