How to handle these(in-grown hairs)?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by KIBrian, Oct 3, 2017.

1. KIBrian

KIBrian New Member

Hey everybody,

I am a new member and have been reading a bunch of articles in the shave school section. These have convinced me that even though trying many different shaving methods(SE,DE, single blade disposables and electric foils) my technique has never really been correct. As a result I have always battle the issue of ingrown hairs such as the ones in the picture attached.

05D7E6FC-F8FE-4A8B-8D88-41E9F09434EB.jpeg

In the past, my solution has been to pop them and removed the unsightly pus pocket. There have been times when I also completely left them alone.

Currently I am using a electric razor and have the intentions on switching to a blade and brush in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, what is the best course of action to prepare my face and end this problem once and for all?

Thanks for the help,

KIBrian

Linuxguile likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Make the switch as soon as you can.

Linuxguile and Keithmax like this.
  3. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Witch hazel may help. Good razor + good technique, and don't feel the need to chase a BBS right away. When I first started, I still had trouble with ingrown hairs when I tried to shave too much against the grain. A year in, and with much better technique, not so much.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

As noted, witch hazel may help a great deal. Use it at least after shaving and possibly also just before shaving.

Another remedy -- and this is assuming you're not allergic to aspirin -- is to crush up an aspirin (an actual aspirin, not another NSAID such as allieve or advil) and make a paste out of it with water. Apply the paste to your ingrown and leave it there until the paste dries. Rinse off. The acidity of the aspirin will help release the ingrown hair and will sterilize the area somewhat so that no new bacteria can move in.

Note that the "aspirin trick" might also irritate your skin if it is particularly sensitive.

jwr3265, wristwatchb, KIBrian and 2 others like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't used an electric shaver since the 1980's. Just couldn't get passed the tug and pull of the one I owned. Granted it was an inexpensive unit, but I don't think the technology has changed much in the years since.
    Here's a widely used photo comparing two hairs cut by (left) a razor and (right) an electric shaver.
    razor vs shaver.jpg
    If the left photo is truth, it illustrates a single pass of a blade through a hair shaft. The "trick" is that the beard is reduced to skin level and the hair can find it's way back out. This is the way of "wet shaving" using soap and a fixed blade razor. Something to unlearn from cartridge razors - you don't press the razor against the skin.
    The right photo shows a mangled end of the hair shaft. By pressing the electric shaver to your skin you may be shaving the hair off below the surface by the sheer mechanical force of pushing the foil against the skin. Then that gnarly stump of a hair shaft can't find it's way out, compounded by bacteria both present on the skin, and possibly from the shaver foil that never sees soap.

6. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Are you sure those are ingrown hairs and not acne ? Honestly, I'd ask your dermatologist or doctor. If they are indeed ingrown hairs you could pop them, throw some Benzoyl Peroxide on them at night, and not shave for a few days, or however long they take to heal. Ditch the electric shaver. Get a good soap and an inexpensive brush. Your lather may suck at first but watch videos, it will get better. Work the lather in and let it sit for a few minutes, just a few, say 2-3. Go WTG, possibly XTG, but no ATG, at least for now. I can't go ATG myself, or I get ingrown hairs. If you have dry skin use a balm, if you have oily skin try a splash. Alum might be worth a shot as well.

7. KIBrian

KIBrian New Member

They are definitely in grown hairs. In the past, I have left similar looking irritations and eventually a hair appears.

8. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I'm almost ashamed to admit I have suffered with terrible skin all my life and awful acne in my teens, but I always assumed that after shaving when I got lots of little spots and the occasional in-growing hair that was just par for the course.

Obviously my skin improved a bit on its own and I wouldn't say I get frequent acne breakouts anymore, but since swapping to DE shaving one had nearly 2 months of almost spot free skin. I can't believe I put up with it all for so long.

Get an omega brush for almost nothing, a pot of cream or a soap, and either an Edwin Jagger 89 or a Gillette Tech from the bay, and prepare for an experience! (I also use alum and a post shave balm, but it's your shave, do it your way ;))

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Between improved tools and learning new technique, a quality soap & brush, and post shave products like alum, witch hazel, or alcohol based aftershave you should be able to tame your face and begin enjoying your shaves in short order.

Don't be shy. Ask lots more questions. We're all hoping for your improved results.

wristwatchb, KIBrian and Dansco like this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Indeed we are!

11. Lantis Nacago

Lantis Nacago New Member

It's probably because you have a sensitive skin.

Before shaving prep your skin first to get a closer shave. It's best to shave after shower since your facial hair becomes softer. Exfoliate is also another option, it removes dead skin cells that clogged your pores after shaving resulting to skin irritations.

Make sure you use sharp blades, clean your razors/safety razors, if your using disposable razors, make sure it's clean, 2 blades are better than 3 or more since it strips off your skin rathen than your facial hair.

Use after shave products that is infused/formulated with aloe, or any essential oil that's has moisturizing and anti inflammatory properties.

Choose products that are formulated for sensitive skin such as Proraso Pre/After Shave Cream Sensitive (white tub) or Nivea Aftershave Splash, Clinique Post-Shave soother etc. There are a lot on the market, these 3 are products I personally used, you can try it if you want.

12. KIBrian

KIBrian New Member

FD4F8B22-2BD5-4F95-9A7B-514A2A03C173.jpeg Good Morning Everyone,

Just wanted to post a quick update.

Since first posting I have used my new merkur safety razor twice. Going strictly WTG. Before shaving I do take a warm shower and exfoliate with “every man jack” face scrub and pre-shave. Lathering up with a perfecto brush and Taylor of old bond street sandalwood shaving cream. After shaving, I splash on Aqua Velva classic ice blue.

For the showers that I do not shave after, I have been dabbing on a skin toner with witch hazel.

Even with these changes it appears that new in growns have appeared. If you see anything that should be changed in the products or process above, please let me know.

Cleaning shaving has become part of my life after recently starting my first professional job and I am eager to find a solution.

As always thanks for all the help!

-KIBrian

P.S. I am not up on the TSD acronym game yet, so please bear with me ;)

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I switched because of ingrown hairs. When I started using a DE along with soap and a brush they got better but still I had ingrown hairs. I used a product called PFB Vanish and in combination with traditional shaving my ingrown hair problem was solved. After a month I was able to discontinue the PFB Vanish. When the ingrown hairs reappear, rarely, I use the PFB again.

Good luck.

14. Lantis Nacago

Lantis Nacago New Member

Do you need to shave everything completely? Try to shave not too close to the skin, leave a little stubble (it's trendy so it might still pass as professional looking since you have a pro job) to prevent hair from curling back in your skin, then use an aftershave that has glycolic and salicylic acids in their formula to help release trapped hairs and fight the bacteria that come with them.

Better yet visit a barber, they have professionals who can shave it for you, at least for now until your skin completely heals or get used to being shaved.