How to make whiskers stand up?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by x_z_1, Jul 16, 2008.

1. x_z_1

x_z_1 New Member

Is there a way to make the whiskers stand up any? I have a few areas where they are so perfectly flat against the skin, that blade glides over them and are very difficult to cut. So far I have only found 2 ways to get them. One is to pull the skin so tight that I wrap half my face over the top of my head, which is hard to do with soapy hands and just uncomfortable overall. OR do some serious "blade buffing" which causes some irritation (it is relatively minor so I put up with it for now).

I take a nice hot shower before shaving, so prep should be ok. I was hoping for any comments or suggestions.

Thanks.

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Use a circular motion when using your brush to lather your face. Or you might try rubbing your fingers against the grain after you've lathered. Barber manuals say to do this as it works the lather into the whiskers and helps them to stand straight.

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas.

3. Exeter

Exeter New Member

I'm guessing you've done across the grain and against the grain passes? I don't see how an against the grain pass wouldn't get even the unruliest of hairs...

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I agree, I don't do anything special, when you go against the grain the blade gets under them and pops them right off.

5. x_z_1

x_z_1 New Member

Apparently not on me. Like I said, in some areas it does not matter if I go ATG unless I pull the skin exceptionally hard or go over the same spot repeatedly.

6. Singapura

Singapura Member

Have you tried this?

[​IMG]

7. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Is it possible you dont have the correct angle on the ATG pass? too small of an angle and you wont cut anything, too much of an angle and you'll take your face off.

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Don't consider having to do multiple passes a bad thing. I usually do one pass with the grain, one across the grain, and one against the grain.

9. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

HAHAHA! Nice pic, Singapura

I will tell you that since I started using a scrub in the shower before my shave, the results have improved.
    Wouldnt recommend it for everyone but it works for me.

10. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

SCRUB your face in the shower with a good quality scrub. I use Nutrogena and Loreal. The Loreal is an exfoliator with aluminum oxide crystals. The Neutrogena is a daily and is less abrasive.

If that fails, put a microwave in your bathroom for a hot towel shave.:D

11. The Chebb

The Chebb New Member

Proraso pre shave and 3 hot towels work for me. Those 2 or 3 that go into stealth mode get plucked by tweezers.