How to shave chin?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by FurryFan93, Aug 29, 2019.

1. FurryFan93

FurryFan93 Member

I've been shaving with a safety razor for about a month now, Been using the Vikings Blade chieftain (Regular one not the JR) first used van der hagen and then now using Astra (Works better), I was able to shave the other day it seems without getting a single cut on my face or chin.. Today though i got 2 cuts on the chin area.. How do i finally prevent this from happening and get a cut/nick less shave from this type of razor? I wanna shave with it so much as it is cheaper and provides a shave that last just as long as my old Gillette Fusion does it seems..

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've got an idea that just might help you out. It's not a "quick fix". Might even take as much as 30 days... There's a group that calls themselves The 30 Day Rule / Focus Pix & Discussion. Bunch of coaches and cheerleaders spanning the range from New Shavers like you to veterans that'll shave with any old blade holder on a dare. Disclaimer; I'm a member of The 30 Day Crew. It's fast paced discussion about foremost - Shaving. There's also side discussion of cars, watches, BBQ, family, Egyptian math, and quite often Shenanigans. Check out the First Post and if it looks interesting, jump in at the end because we're pushing 8k posts this month. New month is a new thread and theme. The themes are just there to keep the long time members entertained while helping others with the hint, tips, and tricks like chin shaving without nicks!

BlueShaver likes this.
  3. FurryFan93

FurryFan93 Member

If its possible to get advice here that would more helpful to me than just joining a group.

Norcalnewb and jgreenepa like this.
  4. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Main thing that you might want to watch is that you ride the cap on the chin. Switching over from a cartridge can be challenging, as you no longer have that spring adjusting the angle. Riding the cap helps ease you in, as it is less prone to cuts at that angle... Once you get a feel for the proper angle, a Safety Razor will become a much better shave and feel much smoother... Also when you change one thing, make sure you are keeping everything else constant so that you can learn what that one change feels like and be able to adjust properly...

There could be a million things to fix, or sustain... The group is specifically for helping people so you are going to get more of a variety of advise that might give you that ah ha moment.

RyX likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sure you can get advice in this particular thread. Each person that has made the choice to wet shave with a DE either conquers their own issues or goes back to cartridge razors or grows a beard.
    :signs011:
    Several techniques will quickly improve your results. I have a tuck of those Ice Tempered Van der Hagen blades I need to test. Haven't tried them yet because as a New Shaver it was generally agreed by the Veterans - they suck. I'm 5+ years in and short of damaged equipment, can get a decent shave with most any razor; close, smooth, no nicks or irritation. Since you switched to Astra blades you've already gotten better results. Sometimes changing equipment helps.

So now you have a good razor & better blades. Time to forget some cartridge habits. Carts have bumpers, lube strips, and flippy floppy pivoting heads. No such on a DE. One technique you will need to develop is the ability to run the blade across your beard without scraping your skin. You have to get the angle of attack right. That DE blade holder is only a short step away from a straight razor. They work best at around 27 degrees off flat to your skin. This is a technique referred to as Riding The Cap. (There's a link in my signature below that give ALL the details.) After you lather up, place the cap against your face with the handle pointed straight out - 90 degrees. As you make your pass through the lather tip the handle down until you hear it cutting beard. Good chance the safety bar won't yet be touching your skin. Try that all over your face at that angle, but you must adjust to the different planes; cheeks, under jaw, neck, etc. Takes a while to teach your wrist to hold the correct angle. Some places will be awkward.

That's just one of the Techniques that will reduce the number and severity of nicks and cuts. There's the pressure you are used to using mashing a cart against the skin trying to get those 2,3,5(?) blades to make contact. The pressure should only be enough to wipe away the lather.

Now you've been introduced to two of the techniques that will improve your results. Here's a third - skin stretching. One hand on the razor with the other pulling your skin around those pesky corners to flatten it out. Also "making shaving faces" by tipping your head, raising or lowering your jaw, etc.

Humm... complex, right? I'm giving you the Readers Digest condensed version of what The 30 Day thread can teach. We haven't even touched on beard mapping, lather quality (what kind of lather are you using?), when to change a DE blade, choosing when you shave... I could go on, but I'm both forgetting things I do without thinking, and offering you the quick lesson. That's what my buddies do - listen to your issues and tell you how we got better. It's not magic, it's Technique! At this stage in your Shave Journey only owning one razor, one brand of good blades, one kind of soap is a good thing. Learn to use them correctly and the next one you try will work better for you because you'll know HOW to use them.

Edison Carter, ghostlife and brit like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Yes, don't cut your chin. The biggest issue here is pressure. Your pushing the razor while attempting to maintain a good angle over the contours of your chin. Unless the razor is misaligned, your issue is user error. Riding the cap is affective, but developing a soft touch is key. First remove all distractions as in running water, humming fans, or maybe music or tv in the other room. Now, ride the cap something just the weight of the razor, maintain your angle, and listen to the blade cutting. The more times you do it, the easier it gets. Don't be tempted to overdo any one shave. Chasing a perfect zen shave is a receipe for a blood spot or irritation.
    NO PRESSURE.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Very short, light strokes, keeping the angle as "flat" as possible. Remember, you are "peeling" a ball, so you can't expect the blade to maintain the angle over too long of a stroke. As you get better, you will learn to adjust the angle as you "round the corner". Lastly, your abrupt objection to joining the 30DC group was, imo, made hastily. There are many, many fine people on this forum, who want to assist you in getting a great shave. We all started out at one time, 99% before you were born, so don't be too hasty to shrug off sincere offers to "teach".
    BTW, try to find these types of responses at other fora...

8. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

While wating on an appointment I ran upon this.
    I too had issues....
    1. Remember to take your time, hardest to do for me.
    2. Streatch the skin so it's not loose, not to much, just enough to make it not loose.
    3. Ride the cap, IF you don't know what I mean, google "riding the cap wet shaving".
    4. It was hard for me to get it right at first because I didn't have my arms hands and fingers right. SO..... take out the blade, and practice going over your chin until you know where to position your razor with your skin stretched while riding the cap.

Oh, did I mention....take your time.
    give yourself plenty of time, your speed will increase drastically as you get better, mine did.
    Good luck

tp

9. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Grow a Goatee :)

Enrico, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  10. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

The advice delivered by Ryx, Primo and others is spot on. I've been shaving with a DE razor for my entire life, and thought I knew what I was doing until I joined this outfit! I'd been shaving with a Krona since the late 60s, and have learned a great deal since arriving myself. My three sons are all double edge shavers. My daughter uses a cartridge, but it's on her legs. Just purchased a leaf razor for her which will allow her to use DE blades in her familiar cartridge format. I'm planning on attending next month's group, which Clint64 tells me will include a focus on single edge razors as well as double edge. Let's do it together! All the best!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Edison Carter, RyX and brit like this.
  11. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Good advice all!!

Part of getting a good result is practice. I find the first pass is to reduce beard growth and subsequent passes to dial in the detail.

RyX and brit like this.
  12. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

I have only been wet shaving for a six months or so but I've decided that muscle memory and pattern recognition have been very important parts of my shave. That helped a lot with the razor burn and nicks. After I determined the way my beard grows, I decided how I was going to go about how I was going to get rid of it.
    What I did:
    I went to the Dollar Store and bought one of the cheap $1.49 double edge razor with 5 blades set. Threw the blades in the "spare parts" drawer and have the razor by my recliner. I work on my muscle memory and pattern while on the web or watching tv. It may not be the best way or even the right way but it worked for me. I have my pattern down meaning I do every shave the same way for 3 passes. The pickups are just what ever get them. I've been working on the spots that I have trouble riding the cap and spots that I just have to use the right angle. Several hand surgeries over the last 15 to 20 years and my hands don't work exactly right so some angles and grips are tricky but I've been getting some really good shaves.

All that being said, I've had good shaves and I've had some that I thought I forgot to put a blade in the razor. BUT very few cuts, no razor burn and very little burn when I put on aftershave.

Has anybody used the cheap razor from the Dollar Store? I think I'm gonna give it a go before long.

YMMV

RyX, brit and Chuck Naill like this.
  13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Since the 30 Day Rule thread is part of this forum, you aren't really joining a new group, just participating in a different thread on the same forum. It is actually located in the Shave School section of this forum, which is aptly named. Most of the advice you have received on this thread to this point has come from active participants of the 30 Day Rule thread. They are definitely a great group of guys that can help get everything sorted out.

Edison Carter, RyX, GatorJoe and 3 others like this.
  14. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Buffing is often recommended for the chin. Got to be careful and not rush it. Maintain blade angle, no pressure, etc. Try it!

Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

That is indeed a viable option. With the current Hipster style being so popular it'd be easier to not shave his chin.
    Bob Denver goatee.jpg
    Funny you ask! There's this group of guys that will shave with most anything and get darn good shaves at that. If you were to show up and say, "I double dog dare you to..."
    Click that second line in my signature below. :cool:

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

:)