How Would You Rate This Brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Shave7, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

I received a "100% Silvertip Badger" shaving brush as a gift. It is a "travel brush" (I think) as it fits and screws into an attractive black plastic tube. It was purchased at The Art of Shaving and their website says the price is $120. I've used it once and I like it. The height of the bristles is 1 3/4 inches and the length of the plastic solid black handle is 2 inches. It was made in Germany. The top of the bristles are fan shaped and rounded. How would you rate this particular brush as to quality, size, and value? All comments pro or con are welcomed. I know little about brushes. Thanks

2. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Got any pictures?

3. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

No digital camera.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

[​IMG][​IMG]

So long as the knot is decent—and for $120, I would like to think it is, it should make a really nice brush, home or travel. The loft looks a bit high, which could make it 'floppy' but some folks like the silver tips that way. Personal preference.

5. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Yes, that's the brush. It is shown attached to its "travel tube."

6. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

If it's a gift i would say "thanks" no matter what
    If it's was my decision i would buy it,lot of money for one brush
    The handle is long and the loft either
    Maybe the latherability compensate this but it's up to you to decide it.
    Enjoy it and happy shaving !

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011: Too pricey, if you ask me. But since it was a gift :happy088:. If the quality of their brushes is anything like the quality of their soaps, it'll be a good brush.
    I do like silvertip brushes, but sounds a bit small for my liking.

8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I imagine it is a good brush but I've found AOS stuff to be overpriced in general. The products of theirs I have tried have worked as well as anything else I've used but for a 3rd of the cost.

Other than value, it is probably fine.

Tdmsu likes this.
  9. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

I have a fine badger from AoS and its a very nice brush. I have used many of their products and find them all top notch. It is true that they are more expensive than buying online however it does cost to keep a storefront in the Mall. Their are some products I buy from them often. The lemon shaving creame is awesome. Good luck with the brush. It was a nice gift.

battle.munky likes this.
  10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Agreed Turk, their line of lemon scented stuff is quite awesome. Their lemon AS is incredible whether I like their prices or not.

11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While the brush looks very nice to me and certainly was a generous gift, for me the price is too much of a shock:shocked003: For the last 2 years I've happily used a $5 #6 horse hair(?)brush from bestshave.net..:happy097: One thing about your brush make absolutely sure the knot is "COMPLETELY" dry before puttng it inside of the handle for storage or it may mildew...

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Excellent advice.

13. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Thanks for the reminder to not put the brush in the travel tube until it is completely dry, to prevent possible mildew.

I have been using the brush at home daily for the past week and it is the finest and most comfortable brush I have used. I have used quality badger brushes for many decades but this is my first silvertip. There is a difference. Highly recommended!

Yes, the cost of $120 dollars is high, but when one considers one badger brush lasts me 15 years (or longer) the cost per year is not great. And it is well worth it! In theory and in practice I believe and in having few things of the highest quality instead of having many things of mediocre quality. That practice is more pleasurable, takes up less storage space, and it is more economical in the big picture of life.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Not sure about this particular brush, but most travel brushes in this style the handle is an open-ended tube. Therefore you can pack-and-go quicker, as the brush will dry due to the open end.

15. RVshave

RVshave New Member

Probably a good brush, I've been in their stores and feel their hardware is overpriced. I understand they have to maintain a storefront but I think their profit margin is a little high. If I was a cream guy I would try some of their creams they aren't priced too bad.