How'd You Start Restoring Razors?

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by TstebinsB, Jul 12, 2008.

1. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I am totally clueless as to razor restoration. I have someone who does it for me and he does an excellent job. But as I see more and more people restoring razors, I wonder why I'm not doing it myself. I could save myself the money.

My question though is how'd you start restoring razors? Was it a DVD on the subject that you saw? Was it a lot of trial and error on your own? Was it by reading posts on the forums? Was it someone who actually took the time to show you the ropes? Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I'm gonna give a go myself. I'm a little limited as to power tools, but you can find nice woods online or at Woodcraft stores. The materials for pins, washers and spacers can also be found online (see some of the other posts, like Klaus'...he suggested Micro Fasteners for the washers, etc.)

I have mainly read a lot of the other posts here in "Razor Restoration" and asked questions by PM. We have a lot of great restorers, like Peter and Gary, and some newcomers that are doing great stuff, like Steve and Dennis. I'm sure they can answer questions about their work.

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Ditto Blair, This place has been an inspiration to me and the masters have been kind to a newbie like me. I've always worked with my hands and I thought to myself "I can do that"! I bought my first straight which was supposed to be "shave ready" and thought "These people are crazy to want to shave with this" This can't be right - so I bought hones and began to practice and found that "shave ready" is a matter of opinion. I enjoy using the straight now. Then I looked at all of the beautiful scales being made - needed a set and just finished my first ones, not breathtaking but they work. :D
    I find it relaxing and am begining to take more pride in my work. Don't be afraid to ask, there is soooo much talent here and they even support us newbies. My thanks to Blair, Klaus, Dennis, Peter and Gary for their support and kind words. Give it a try!

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I too sucked up a lot of information on the different boards, but most of it was trial and error, really. More trial than error, though :D
    I am at a point now where I can do complete restorations, but (custom) scales are still something I need to invest way more time in to "get there". I feel honoured to be named by you guys amongst Peter, Gary, Blair, Dennis and all the other great restoreres.

We're a family. Everyone can learn from everybody else and the key is to share your findings. Thanks to everybody who contributes his knowledge! ::