Howdy

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Old Grizz, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Old Grizz

Old Grizz Member

Greetings to all. Began my shaving life 55 years ago with a Gillette de safety razor, Gillette blades of course, and various foams in the can. Stayed that way for about 10 years or so, including dry shaving in the field in both 'Nam and Germany. Somewhere along the line I went to electrics for purely convenience sake. Now, after a full and interesting life, and having been retired for almost eight years, I found myself about two months ago, becoming dissatisfied with the crappy job a new electric was doing. Also, being retired and having the sweet luxury of time on my hands, I decided to return to wet shaving. But I didn't want to go the cartridge route, having never, ever liked them. Total shock when I went to my local store to "gear up" and found that things had drastically shifted in the wet shaving world. So, not one to give up easily on an idea, I began my research, got a grasp on how things are now, then formed a plan. Now, two months later, I'm enjoying all that the world of wet shaving has to offer. Formulated my own pre-shave oil (found out right away my face needs it), hot, wet towel if I haven't done the shower thing, a good shave soap, and this is huge: a scuttle in which to brush up the lather. Ahh, the bliss of warm lather. Trying out various post shave balms. Used a Benny's 3 piece at first and it was okay, and it will probably be my "going camping in the rv" tool. For home, I just acquired a Viking's Blade Crusader. Dialing it down a bit to start, but so far, outstanding. I'm glad I found this site, it"s loaded with tons of great stuff. Glad to be a part of the community. Adios for now.

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome. Great to have you here.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and Welcome!

4. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @Old Grizz! Glad you are enjoying your shaves again. Many of us have found vintage razors shave well. Others are trying out and liking modern ones. If you need opinions, advice, even actual information - ask away. Plenty of helpful friendly folks around.

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Old Grizz

I hope you enjoy it here. Your going to luv, luv, luv your foray back into "traditional" shaving.:happy088:

8. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome aboard!

9. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Howdy back at ya. Glad you found TSD, & welcome!

10. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome! We're glad you're here!

12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

13. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Wecome from Alabama!

14. Old Grizz

Old Grizz Member

Wow! Thanks everyone for your super welcomes and likes. Wish there was more places in the world as welcoming. Thoughts are with you folks in Alabama, Hembree. Again, many thanks!

Killerflyingbugs likes this.
  15. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Keep our folks in your prayers. Lot of property damage and loss of life. Thanks and this is a great forum with good folks. We do cut up every now and then.

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @Old Grizz and thank you for your service to our country!

Old Grizz and Hembree like this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

Hembree likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome, @Old Grizz , from North Cackalacky. Glad you made it back. I was in the Nam, too. This Friday will be the 50th anniversary of my return to the States. I picked wetshaving back up in 2012 and haven't looked back.

zwelcome1a.jpg

19. Old Grizz

Old Grizz Member

Thanks Jayaruh. Hard to fathom it was that long ago. Like the book's title states: We Were Soldiers Once, and Young. I wasn't in the 1st Aircav, but had some relatives and friends that were. Also, share a barber chair with one of their greatest heros ever. Glad you made it too brother.

20. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    ...and THANK YOU too, Jim...glad you made it back safely. :happy088: