How's Your Day? August 2019

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by richgem, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Been a good day here thus far. My landlord came to install a new screen door behind the sliding glass door. He's going to come back another day to replace the bathroom sink area soap-holder, as he saw that it would be harder to do than he originally thought. I saw that my shave order is expected to be delivered Friday. Central Texas Shave Soaps may be a little high on the shipping cost, but they send your order fast to make up for it. Going to the gym in an hour or so. I think I'm pretty much pain-free from that freay kitchen fall I took. I'm in the "no-pain no gain" phase at this time.

2. Paul Turner

Is that a fact, Mr. Van Gem?

brit, Hembree and Trigger like this.
  3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Jazeker!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    brit, Trigger and Paul Turner like this.
  4. Paul Turner

That is so right about the v.

brit likes this.
  5. richgem

Erik Redd, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Let's see if I understand this. "Phoenix Suns great Dick VanArsdale was just that in his career...great. Yes, van Arsdale had a great career". (Would that be rght?)

brit and Trigger like this.
  7. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

However, since we don't live in the Netherlands, the v will always be capitalized.

brit likes this.
  8. Paul Turner

Y'know we had a Dutch-American President...#8, Martin Van Buren. I always presumed the V was capitalized until @richgem's recent posts. Maybe it is anyway???

richgem likes this.
  9. richgem

Hmmm....now you're making me think.... eek.

"Phoenix Suns great Dick van Arsdale..." (note lower v and spacing after)
    (Capital V only works if you consider "great" as a formal title, like Emperor.)

But, Mr. Dick Van Arsdale" would be correct (capital v b/c of title) Tho the title is not capitalized in Dutch.

"Yes, van Arsdale..." seems to be correct unless the van starts the sentence, then it gets capitalized. "Van Arsdale was great." for ex.

10. Paul Turner

Wow.....that's tricky. I'll get the hang of it eventually. Thanks.

11. richgem

Same thing happens with German names (Von). It almost always gets capitalized in English under the assumption that the family name is "VanBuren" (filed under "v") whereas the Dutch consider the family name "Buren" (filed under "b" and which means neighbors, btw) and "van" means from or belonging to.

12. richgem

13. Paul Turner

This'll make you laugh....For many years(like most of my life up until now), I thought his last name was pronounced Van "B you're ENN". I knocked out that neighbors thing, didn't I? I'll read about the name history when I am more awake(after my coffee :).

14. richgem

The Dutch "u" is a tough sound, but "you're" is pretty close. I struggle with it.

One more:
    https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-Dutch-surnames-that-have-a-hilarious-meaning-Why-is-that

I'm of the opinion (contrary to link 1) that the Dutch went for full comic effect when having to pick last names and hoped they wouldn't stick.

brit likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

I'm just glad I wasn;t Chief Justice of the Supreme Court administering the Oath of Office to Marty. "Do you...Martin van B yer ENNNN solemnly swear". Thanks for these links.

brit, Trigger and richgem like this.
  16. richgem

I'd've probably just gone with "hey you..." 'Course no telling if the Pres. Americanized the pronunciation somewhat anyhow.

And... you're welcome!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    brit, Trigger, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  17. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Yes, I am also aware he was Gov. Martin Van Buren of NY.

brit, RyX, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Ahhh, this explains why his museum and grave are in The Empire State.

brit, RyX, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It’s been a great day.The weather was nice, so I went for a shoot. I even shot fairly well,, despite my current vision problems. Then I stopped for some groceries and got my flu shot. Now, just relaxing at home.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  20. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I drive a mini-van. A Van would have a capital V because it is a title, but a mini-van doesn't because van is preceded by mini.

brit likes this.