How's Your Day? March 2018

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by richgem, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Thanks everyone, I'm abnormally calm now about the surgery.

Well, with Easter here, my wife and I broke out an old tradition that we haven't done in a while! ;). I finished my first egg moments ago, while she is on her second.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Beautiful!

3. lradke

Thanks! It's the first one I've done in years.

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@lradke that is stunning, How did you do it?

lradke likes this.
  5. lradke

Thanks Sarah! Take the smoothest egg you can find, wash it and pay it dry. Then I used a fine/medium kistka (I like wooden ones), melt a bit of beeswax into it, over a candle, and draw a pattern in what color you want on the egg. So for the white I did the lines you see on an undyed egg, then dipped the egg in light blue dye for a few minutes, did a bit of waxing after pulling it out, then dipped it in royal blue dye. Let it sit there for about 30 min, pulled it out, did a light pat dry then put it on a drying rack for a bit.

Then to get the wax off, as a kid I used to stick them in the oven until it started to melt, but now I hold it close to a candle to melt a bit of the wax, then wipe it off. It's slower but funner in my opinion. As you wipe the wax off, it leaves a small layer on it, making it shine. :)

In total it probably took me about 3 hours to do this one. Everything can get got online, dyes are like $1 each, beeswax is cheap, the kistkas run a few dollars each, or you can get a fancy electric heated one, like my wife's, but they are more.[​IMG]

Sara-s and richgem like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My day began the same way yesterday ended.....my toilet has been HISSING at me. I'll head off to the gym shortly to hopefully drown this frustration in a nice workout.

7. richgem

Look before you leap ... um... sit.

[​IMG]

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My goodness, I didn't know there was such a picture in this thing we call computers. But if it was a snake, it'd die from exhaustion.

9. richgem

@Sara-s google "pysanka" "pasanky" or "slavic easter eggs" Some of the work is just stunning.

(Just to add to what @lradke already posted.)

Sara-s and lradke like this.
  10. lradke

Here's another I am making now. It has a rose on the front center resembling love and charity(the diamonds), and crosses on the side resembling Christ's victory over death. Some of the triangles are going to have small interesting lines resembling nets and becoming Fishers of men, and others will have a ribbon design resembling eternal life.

The backside is exactly the same as the front.

I'm using one of my wife's many books on the meaning of egg designs. Before now I just did whatever I felt, not knowing the designs meant something.[​IMG]

BaylorGator, Sara-s and richgem like this.
  11. richgem

I can't wait to see the finished product

lradke likes this.
  12. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Those are gorgeous! What does that one mean?

13. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Beautiful!

lradke likes this.
  14. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

Today is my wife's birthday. We started celebrating last night, when her sister surprised her by flying in from WV for the weekend. We spent today antiquing, enjoying a great dinner, then going to a "Paint and Sip" where we each painted "Starry Night" (or "Starry, Starry Night." I'm not sure.) Tomorrow we'll go to church, have lunch at Linda's favorite restaurant, and spend the afternoon relaxing.

Let me brag about this wonderful woman. I'm out of work; it's her birthday weekend; but while she was out shopping yesterday for ingredients to make her own birthday cake (triple chocolate with homemade buttercream icing), she bought me a bottle of my favorite bourbon (Michter's Small Batch). Am I fortunate, or what?

Have a blessed Easter, everyone.

15. lradke

That's awesome! :) I hope you have a great Easter and dinner tomorrow!

16. lradke

Alright, I have finished my egg and took a few pics to form a collage with my camera.

As mentioned in my last post the symbolism if highly religious:
    - net, be Fishers of Men
    - dots, tears shed at Christ's crucifixion
    - cross, Christ's victory over death
    - ribbon, eternal life
    - rose (crazy diamond thing), charity and love

I don't know if the colors have any symbolism or not, all we have this year is lt. blue, dk. blue, pink, purple and black. :/[​IMG]

17. richgem

#jaw_drop
    Beautiful!

lradke likes this.
  18. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

That is awesome! Love both the finished art and the message @lradke!

lradke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.