Humphreys Handmade Just Arrived!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Zykris, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I ordered some Humphreys Handmade Gylercin Soap. And they are: Werewolf, Redrum, Chtulu, Lovecraft and a small surprise of a sample of Buffalo Bill!

[​IMG]

I'll give a review of them as I go. Mwahaha love horror themed stuff!

2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Had ants in my pants and gave the Chtulu soap a shot. Lol

Ingredients: Glycerin soap ( with added argan oil calendula extract, sunflower extract, aloe leaf extract), fragrance
    Fragrance: (from website: https://www.humphreyshandmade.com/c...-soap-round-soap-puck-hp-lovecraft-beard-wash )

CTHULHU is a delightful unisex ocean scent, perfect for men or women. The fresh clean scent of sea water, fresh air, sparkling citrus and soft woods. Our male customers love using this soap as a beard wash or shave soap due to how thick it's lather it. Ladies also love this scent. It's a winner with everyone!
    My take, I can definitely smell that oceany smell with ozone. Citrus I think is subtly there. Everyone's nose is different. As far as stats:
    Fragrance: Around a 5. Not unpleasant and mid strength for up in your face first burst of scent and staying power.
    Slickness: 8 Easily. Two band badger worked this soap into a nice lather. But holding the puck in hand became a little bit fun. Imagine soap puck going for a mid air flight.
    Cushion: 4 ish. It has some cushioning power but the slickness covers it for me.
    Post shave: 7 I was a bit surprised I did not have dry skin on my head. It actually was more on the moisturizing side.

So far, a win in my mind! And just 5 bucks for a puck. Another win!

3. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Can you put it as a comparison to another soap? Sometimes numbers from.one person to another are a bit aribatury.

brit likes this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

If I had to compare it to another brand, not always the easiest, I would say....close to Stirling in terms of slickness. Not quite the cushion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  5. ordinaryshaver

Ok. That makes a bit more sense. I struggle sometimes with knowing what one person's 4 is to another person's 6.
    At least whend using a "known" brand it makes it a bit easier.

brit likes this.
  6. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

True. My collection is nothing compared to others but that's about the closest I can compare.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  7. ordinaryshaver

I have something in the works, will be making an announcement across the street closer to the beginning of the new year.

Zykris and brit like this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Well today's face shave is done. The soap I used today was Werewolf.

" Our WEREWOLF soap smells of Citrus Zest, Cedar Leaf, Rich Spices, Vetiver, White Pepper, Deep Musk and Light Patchouli. If you are familiar with the BBW Twilight Woods scent, this is very similar.

Our signature glycerin formula includes added argan oil, calendula extract, sunflower oil and aloe leaf extract. Pucks are 2.75" in diameter, which fits perfectly in your hand." Quotations are taking directly from the website itself.

Note: Have a slight burn from the soap. Not horrible but a mild one that I can tolerate thus far on my skin.

The scent is definitely a more pronounced one than the Chtulu one. It's in your face and so far, 40 mins later it's still strong. I would classify this as a cologne type soap. I've never used Twilight Woods or anything similar so the scent in brand new to me. I can definitely tell you that the most upfront scents are cedar, musk and patchouli. The others kind of blend in to my nose. YMMV. Now as far as stats go.

Fragrance: 8 Easily. I don't think the scent is going anywhere anytime soon. Strong.

Slickness: 8 Same as Chtulu. Same formula as Chtulu just different fragrance. Seems to be pretty consistent.

Cushion: 4ish. Exactly the same.

Post Shave: 7. Once again the same. So I think when I go to use Red Rum the scores will be the same. Lovecraft is questionable because it is a different type of formulae with extra ingredients.

If you like deep, rich and strong scents, this may be a soap for you. Or maybe an evening wear type soap if your other half likes that sort of smell. Hope this was helpful!

brit likes this.
  9. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Reviews! :happy096:

Zykris likes this.
  10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Update: Face is still slightly burny. Might have to PIF this one in the future.

11. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Head shave today with RED RUM. Gotta love The Shining reference.

" RED RUM is a wonderful Bay Rum scent that has the fresh essence of bay leaves with the bright enjoyment of orange peel and zest.

Our signature glycerin formula includes added argan oil, calendula extract, sunflower oil and aloe leaf extract. Pucks are 2.75" in diameter, which fits perfectly in your hand." Quotations are taking directly from the website itself.

The fragrance is definitely to me more sweet than some combinations of the Bay Rum soaps. My knowledge is limited to Taconic Bay Rum, Men's Shaving Soap Company Bay Rum and Stirling's Bay Rum.

Fragrance: 5 Much like Chtulu, it's a more subtle scent.

Slickness: 8 Consistent.

Post Shave: 7. Once again the same.

If you are not a big fan of very strong scents, this one is nice. The cushion I'm nailing it down better and it's giving a little bit more but not enough for me to give it another point. But still a very nice soap. And thankfully, unlike Werewolf, I'm not noticing a skin reaction to the soap. So two out of three are keepers.

12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Face shave today with Lovecraft.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our fabulous LOVECRAFT soap bar smells like pomegranate, orange, cinnamon and vanilla. The soap itself is truly unique. It contains splashes of color like the aurora borealis, with a glow in the dark moon.

* Compare our fragrance to Midnight Pomegranate® by Bath & Body Works.
    * Humphrey's Handmade is not affiliated or associated with Bath & Body Works.

Lovey fragrance from this bar! I mainly smell the pomegranate, tad bit of the orange a little bit of the vanilla. The cinnamon seems lost in the mix. But so far, really like it!

Fragrance: 5 Much like Chtulu, it's a more subtle scent.

None of the stats are changing thus far and it seems the formulae is still the same as the rest. I'd say it's rather consistent and reliable.

The aurora borealis image on the front only lasts for the first lather. It's gone now. But it was a nice touch. A bigger bar than the other samples by about an ounce I think. At 6.25 a bar, still rather good deal!

Frijolero likes this.
  13. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Head shave today with a sample of Buffalo Bill.

" BUFFALO BILL has the spot on fragrance of tanned leather. You'll recognize the smell if you have ever sniffed new boots, a jacket, or a saddle. A great shave soap with a rich lather. Although listed as a men's fragrance it could swing unisex for any lady that loves the smell of leather.

The fragrance is a sharp leather smell. Very much like if you were to buy a new leather coat directly from the store and the scent was right there and didn't mellow out yet. It's definitely not subtle.

Fragrance: 6 Easily.

I'm used to a lighter leather scent but it doesn't make it unpleasant. Just boom! I'm here!