Hydro 5 vs Gilette Proglide

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by CartrigeBoy, Mar 2, 2011.

1. CartrigeBoy

CartrigeBoy New Member

In your experience, which one gives a better shave with no pulling or tugging?

I only have experience with the Hydro 5, and was thinking on trying the Proglide. But I wanted some opinions first.

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I havn't used the Hydro 5. However every 5 blade cartridge blade system has given me lots of tug a pull. A mach 3 has always given me a better shave than any 5 blade system out there. However YMMV as usual

3. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I've tried both and also the hydro 3. I find no real difference between the new fusion and the older one, just new colors. The hydro 5 is better than the hydro 3 IMO.

4. ShaveAddict

ShaveAddict Member

I tried both and i put my vote on the Proglide.
    The Hydro razors both the 3 and the 5 are useless in my opinion, because of their lube strip/reservoir, they leave too much goo behind.

5. CartrigeBoy

CartrigeBoy New Member

I tried the Hydro 3 and I def. like the Hydo 5 better.

6. Jorocom

Jorocom New Member

The Proglide is the better one to use. The Hydros (especially the 5) have way too much lubrication strips.

7. MHDena

MHDena New Member

Never tried either of the 5 blade cartridges, but for me Schicks have outperformed Gilletes, Protectors over Sensors and Quattros over Mach 3s.

Of course ymmv.

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

improvement stopped with the M3 turbo.

9. Birkut

Birkut New Member

In my opinion:

1. almost any DE razors (by far)
    2. Schick Hydro 5
    3. Gillette Proglide
    4. Schick Hydro 3
    5. Gillette Mach 3
    6. Schick Quattro

10. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I haven't used a Gillette Pro glide yet...

but I just got a free one, bundled with some deodorant.
    I have and still use the Gillette Atra, Sensor, and Mach 3.

The Schick Quatro that I have beats them all.
    Of course, all of my DE razors get a closer shave - though it takes longer.
    I will update after I try the Fusion Pro Glide.

11. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I have used the ProGlide on 2 shaves - and I am quite impressed!

This razor gives me a very close shave and is verry user friendly. I can get a 3 pass shave done in record time, and with excellent BBS results.

Gillette did a good job in my opinion, though I'm still not sure I will spend the money on replacement blades for this razor. also will be interested to see how many great shave is in one cart.

I have to say, it beats my Mach 3 and Schick Quattro both in terms of shave feel and shave result. I did not expect that. You can actually hear the ProGlide slicing the whiskers as you shave. I already went back to score another "free" proglide bundled with the deodorant. I will definitely keep one of these as a backup.

Definitely worth a try if you get a good price or a trial.

12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I've heard the Pro-Glide was supposed to be a big step up from the Fusion...And I heard that from a reliable source. But he also said the replacement blades were cost prohibitive for him...

I've been getting the best shaves of my life with my '52 Black Tip Super Speed and my Schick I2 Injector, so I haven't been able to sacrifice a day with one of those to try anything else...:) Guess I'm not really looking for anything better right now, I'm having too much fun with these guys...Would like some TSD ISZ Wheat Cream though....:)

I do think the Trac II's were better than the Mach 3's or Fusions...

If you do try the Pro Glide let us know what you think...;) Maybe my friend was right, and the big 'G' might be on to something...:)

13. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I got one in a package awhile back. It was nothing special. Can't say it was much better or worse than the fusion. I still like my Gillette disposibles better than these... but of course the winner is really a DE.

14. jrocker

jrocker Member

I have used the disposable walgreens five blade razor and its actually good. you may want to try it $6 for 3 = $2 each.

[​IMG]

but out of those two, I would choose proglide. its got thinner blades and cleans out easier IMO

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Man I'm jealous...You can use the Gillette disposibles....

A couple years ago I tried the Gillette Blue II and III's...And man, I had high hopes cause everyone was telling me they were the cream of the disposible crop..:) . But Man...There was so much tugging and pulling...It was really painful...The price was right and they look great. So I know they are a quality product. But I couldn't make them work for me...That was when I started searching the net for another way and found out you could still get DE's...So something good did come out of it...But man I really wanted to make those Gillette Blue Series Disposibles work.

I guess with the Grey whiskers mixed in...Cutting my beard's getting to be a tougher project...:happy102

Lucky for me I can still get great blades for the SS and injector...;)