I am about out of soap!

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Monty Craig, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Monty Craig

Monty Craig Member

I have my regular cup that I go to, but I am about out, and the lady who makes it for me says that she won't have any ready for a few weeks! So......

I recently tried Burt' Bees shave cream... no go.

Now, has anyone tried Tabac shave cream? I am thinking it sounds like it smells good... any thoughts? I have also thought about Arko Stick.... Advise please.

Thanks,

Monty

2. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've smelled Tabac, I thought it smelled good. If it's a soap you want, I would suggest Mike's Natural Soaps or TSD Lanolin. As for a cream, I have tried La Toja Sensitive, TSD Wheat Cream, Speick, Musgo Real. All of those are fine creams. You can also pick up a cream sampler pack from the TSD store.

3. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Except for the smell, I liked Arko the one time I tried it. SWMBO has appropriated it, so I need more! Another good, easy to find soap is Van Der Hagen Deluxe soap. It's about $3 at Wal-mart. It moisturizes, lathers well and has good cushion and glide.

4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs011: Van Hagen Delux inexpensive and an be found locally.

5. NukeLaloosh

NukeLaloosh Active Member

If it's locally you want, the CO Bigelow Cream carried at Bath & Body Works is a quality cream that is also the same stuff as Proraso cream. I like the Arko Stick a lot, myself as well.

6. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Hey Monty...

I love the Tabac shave cream but actually prefer the Tabac soap (my favorite soap actually). As other have mentioned both the VDH and C.O. Bigelow (same as Proraso green) can be picked up locally.

A few drug stores carry Williams at a very low price. Another great value is the Barbasol Sensitive Skin Theraputic Shave Cream (non-aerosol) that can be found at many Dollar Generals and a few drug stores.

The Art of Shaving creams are very good, but overpriced in my opinion, must be the cost of mall rent ;)

On Amazon if you purchase from any vendor that is fulfilled by Amazon, 9 out of 10 times for our region it ships from Indiana, so you would have next day.

7. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

Are you wanting a cream/soap suggestions in genetal or locally found products? I have both cream and soap versions of Tabac. Smells slightly flowery but the lather is tough to beat. It is a staple in my rotation. RazoRock products are quite fantastic and very reasonably priced. They are also part of my regular rotation (classic, xxx, and mudder focker.) Speick is great shave cream.
    Local stuff depends on where you live. Crabtree & Evelyn sell some nice soap. Bath and body works has c.o. Bigelow cream which I like. The body shop has macaroot shave cream. Natural food stores usually carry kiss my face shave cream. Get the unscented version to mix with other creams/soaps for an uber lather.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Rite Aid carries The Real Shaving Co. cream. If you want to try a real English shaving cream, the price is unbeatable. The smell is not for everyone (acquired taste) but performance is out of this world.:)

I think everybody has pretty much covered everything else.

9. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

If you have a middle eastern market nearby(?) ... you could check to see if they have Arko cream/soap or something similar.

10. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have the Tabac shave cream and its my favorite cream, most people say the soap is better, but I am yet to try it, (its on my to try list) Palmolive shave stick it good. cant say for Arko as I have not tried that.

11. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

I also really love the Tabac cream. It is a very good performer. If you are interested in trying some inexpensive creams have a look online at some of the Akro creams. I find they are good as well and about 1/4 the price of Tabac. For example, you can get four tubes of Arko for ten bucks, whereas a singe tube of Tabac is $11.99. But... I still love the Tabac! :)

Cheers, Lyndon

12. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Never tried the cream , but Tabac soap is awesome, the scent is nice, classic old school soap with a bit of a flowery smell and a hint of spice (at least to my nose)

13. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yup, Tabac is great, as are Arko and Palmolive, JoAnna's TSD soaps & creams. QED lathers nice as well. Dunno if that is available near you, though.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Place an order at the TSD Store.
    Go to Walmart and get a puck of Van der Hagen to hold you over until your TSD order arrives.

Lyndon and PLANofMAN like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I wish I were about out of soap...

I've been trying to get through it, but there's far too much soft goods in the den.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've given away enough shaving cream this year to last 2 years. I still have enough Figaro and Maca Root to last another 2-3 years and now that I'm a double subscriber to the S/COTQ, I'll never run out of soap. That doesn't count the MWF, or the eight or so RazoRock soaps I have left, or the Safari puck, or the Tet-A-Tet I break out on the rare occasion I want a menthol shave, or....the list goes on...

I wish I had your problem. Maybe I should start a thread called "I am about out of (room to store my) soap" ;)

17. Lyndon

Lyndon Well-Known Member

ROTFLMAO!!! :happy102:

18. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

There ya go! Perfect! If I assume 1g/shave for hard soap, 1.5g/shave for soft soaps, and 2g/shave for creams, I'm good for at least 12 years. Unfortunately I'm seeing my shaves take less product than that so I might not have to get more product for a few years after that.