I am back

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by NETWizz, Jun 24, 2022.

1. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

I went away for about six years, but I am back!

Long story is last time I mostly sliced my face up with a Van Der Hagen Safety razor. I was shaving at the wrong angle, and the Van Der Hagen blades were just terrible like shaving with hot glass.

I tried some Gillette Platinums, which did better and the Astra SPs, which felt a bit scratchier than the Gillette units.

Long story short, I had to shave and couldn't find a cartridge, and my damned defender razor was a sticking and pulling like it was going to pull hairs out. My face was getting itchy like it does after a couple of days growth if I don't shave and it was about 11 PM. I figured... why not and pulled out the DE I hadn't tried in 5 years and loaded an Astra simply because the box was open.

I decided to ride the cap and NOT tug since pushing a blade too hard even though you are running it against the skin will still cut like slicing a tomato if you don't drag the knife it still can make slices if sharp. I realized this last time right before I went back to cartridges. I focused on shaving away only the shaving cream and it worked with only one minor bleader.

Then I had my first epiphany ... I bought the Defender because I could rinse the stubble out unlike those 3 to 7 blade monstrosities, which generally have the blades too close together to rinse (I use compressed air).

Bottom line, I had an Okay shave. I shaved a couple of more times and it improved a little. Went back to the Gillette Platinum and it felt like a Good Shave.

Today, I shaved again and had another epiphany I MUST share!

I always leave the water running to rinse. DON'T do that! Turns out you can HEAR a shave. I have NEVER heard a shave before!

At any rate, as I played with it, I could tell by the noise when I had it right!

Cannot wait for the next shave

Paul Turner, Jayaruh, Terry and 5 others like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Glad your shave is working well!

:)

stuartganis likes this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome back!

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome back to the Den.

5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Welcome back. Btw, you sound like an ideal recruit for the 30DC -- the monthly 30 Day Rule/Focus Shave thread in the Shave School section.

The idea of the Rule is that you spend 30 consecutive shaves using the exact same equipment -- razor, brand of blade, brush and soap -- so that there are no possible variables based on switching around equipment. That leaves you free to concentrate solely on technique. We recommend members concentrate on using the "riding the cap" method of shaving to control shave angle, concentrate on using no pressure on the razor, and do not try to rush the shave. We post our daily shaves in the thread and discuss what went right or wrong. If someone is having trouble, we discuss the problem and suggest solutions. The aim is for everyone to have enjoyable, pain-free shaves.

If you join us for 30 days, I guarantee your technique will improve immensely and you will start to enjoy your shave ritual.

Incidentally, the "Focus" is a less strict approach than the "Rule", involving changing out gear, etc.

The 30DC was started about 15 years ago, I believe, and many of us have been in the group for years. Once we develop our technique, we stay on to work on improving it, to help newcomers, and just to hang out with a group of friends. We talk about everything under the sun, gossip, and just generally have a good time. Before the pandemic, we even used to have an annual meet and barbecue...

Try us out. You won't regret it! And you don't need to wait for the start of the month to join -- drop in anytime.

Trigger and Paul Turner like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

I've went through it several times with troublesome razors and was able to find the reasons and cures to enjoy them.

:eatdrink013:

Screwtape likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome back.

8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Hello welcome back to TSD, have some great shaves!

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well.... welcome back from the jungle.
    Keep up the good work.
    A fine history of discovery.

tp

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Welcome back! A few more shaves and u will get the hang of it. The key is no pressure. Just place the razor up against the face but dont push into your face.

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Nice Haiku, Terry :).

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Doesn't follow the 5-7-5 syllable format of a haiku.

Terry likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

I know, but it comes close. Thought I'd put some fun into it;

Terry likes this.
  15. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

I am in…

Going to do a 30 day.. I currently don’t have a brush or a soap but canned Goo From Nivia.

I am going to run with the Van Der Hagen.

What brush and soap do you recommend? I want something that smells like a traditional barber shave, which I never experienced or smelled.

Paul Turner and Terry like this.
  16. Paul Turner

I just purchased Clubman Classic Brushless Shaving Soap. It's a 16 oz. jar. It's a challenge doing it brushless, but it gives me a very nice shave. I look forward to using it in the fall/winter months, but as you can see, I already got started with it. Clubman's been called "the quintessential barbershop shave product".

NETWizz likes this.
  17. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Some people have this problem with their wives.:)

NETWizz likes this.
  18. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks John for recommending the 30 DC thread to NETWizz. Before I saw this thread, I also invited him to 30 DC. Btw, the 30 DC thread started in January of 2015, so it's just over 7 yrs.

NETWizz likes this.
  19. TheBurgh

TheBurgh Active Member

Welcome!

That perseverance you describe will produce magical shaving moments which we hope you'll share with us!

Trigger likes this.
  20. NETWizz

NETWizz Active Member

Almost ready for the July 30 day. Just got some new stuff... still waiting for a lather bowl.

PXL_20220630_000914304.jpg

I am going to be using:

Van Der Hagen DE (because is the only DE I have)
    Derby Blades (because it is a new 5 pack AND has the disposal slot)
    Omega Penelli White HI-BRUSH Synthetic Shaving Brush (first time I ever used a brush was today)
    Stirling Soap Company Shave Soap, Barbershop (first time I ever used a shaving soap was today)

Screwtape and Trigger like this.