I am done wasting my money.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by BigMark, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Rio Bravo

Rio Bravo Well-Known Member

Or consider searching for those vintage tools still in working order or NOS which have already proven to last...
    I also apply the same logic of RaZorBurn123 for my straight razors. For safety I either go cheap, hence the baili or I go vintage, hence the gillette tech.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    RaZorBurn123 and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

I started with a 38C and 34C and both had plating issues so I returned them and started in the stainless steel razor RAD. Couldn't be happier! I do have a couple of older Gillette's but most of them are not aggressive enough for my liking!

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

... for every song I've sung... every time I had to play while people sat there drunk....

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Kerry what ATT razor do you have, I prefer a mild razor as I shave my head. it is a toss up between that and the as-d2. I found a slim on 5 was good with a lab. maybe a 6-7 tops with a red.

5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I said I'd never succumb to the solid stainless steel fervor, but oh, was I ever wrong.
    I was loaned a Weber razor a few months back, and what an eye opening experience it
    has turned out to be. Absolute unquestionable quality, extreme durability, and a shaver
    that works very well for me with Derby Extra, Astra SP, Astra SS, Shark SS, Big Ben SS,
    Rapira SS, Gillette 7OC greens, Indian Wilkies, Crystal SS, and Tiger Superior SS blades.
    In fact, I've only tried one blade so far that was very poor in the Weber, and that was a Feather.
    (but I don't get on well with Feathers in any razor...)

So I broke down, gritted my teeth, and doled out the required $70 odd + shipping for the Weber.
    It's worth it. The fit and finish is absolutely excellent. I even looked mine over with a large
    magnifying glass when it arrived. Nary a scratch, burr, or anomaly to be found. It's beautiful.
    So if you are diligently seeking pure and true shaving boredom, and you are certain that you want
    to shave with one, and only one razor every day for the rest of your existence on this rock,
    then the Weber, Above the tie, or other specialty razor is where you should be looking.
    It's the razor that you pay for once, then hand down to your grandson
    when you are 90+ and ready to embark on that really long dirt nap.

As for me, I'll not be throwing my Merkurs or Muhle's away any time soon,
    but if circumstances ever forced me to head for the hills and live out the rest of my
    days in a cave, I'd grab the Weber.

6. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

True. My 2 ATT razors are the finest DE razors I have ever used and pretty much the only ones I use now.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Mark, I have the S1 Slant. I also shave my head, it's a mild yet very efficient razor. The quality of the razor is unsurpassed.

CyanideMetal and Omelmad like this.
  8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

You can ask as many questions as you like. When I was new here over a year ago I was wondered the same thing =P I thought March PIF months was a bit strange because everyone was PIFing stuff all the time haha

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I kind of have a similar feeling, not so much on the QC though. I'd like to try razors like the Futur and 101, plus ATT and some others but at the price they are there is too much risk for me. I got burned once with the Parker 26c, I love the handle and use it every shave but the head just doesn't work for me. That was only $25 or so, dropping many multiples of that on the off chance it might be well made and work for me. The Lord L6 I use has cosmetic issues and I know won't last forever, but at around $10 you kind of expect that and can accept the flaws because of the shave it gives.

10. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

@BigMark

[QUOTEI prefer a mild razor as I shave my head.][/QUOTE]

Feather-AS-D2-All-Stainless-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Made-In-Japan-1-350x350.jpg

Feather AS-D2
    Mild, (so I've read) unquestionable quality, and 100% Stainless Steel.

Mark, if I had one, I'd put it in a box and send it to for a month long trial.
    Unfortunately, I don't own one.
    Maybe there is a generous soul here who would though?

If not, I've heard that on other forums there are razor pass arounds
    something like we did with the Yuma a while back, but with expensive razors.
    If you are seriously interested, maybe a bit of investigation could get you on track with a loaner?

Just thinkin' :signs002:

BigMark likes this.
  11. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

:cool::):D:bounce017: :cool::):D:bounce017: :cool::):D:bounce017: :cool::):D:bounce017: :cool::):D:bounce017: :cool::):D:bounce017:

You are the WINNER of a
    Drive by PIF !!!!

What did you win?? A free month's supply of Prozac? A year's membership to Jenny Craig?? A stand-in for your next family reunion?? Eminem to sing at your kid's next
    birthday party??

NO!!!

Just for wishing out loud, you're receiving, free of charge (it's a PIF, Stupid), this shinny, new Futur Razor and a pack of surprise blades!!!

[​IMG]

To claim your PIF, just PM me your mailing address and this bad boy will be on its way to you!

Thanks for playing, "It pays to post in March"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool::):D:bounce017: :cool::):D:bounce017: :cool::):D:bounce017: :cool::):D:bounce017: :cool::):D:bounce017: :cool::):D:bounce017:

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

congratulations!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Wow! Congratulations!

Douglas Carey and CyanideMetal like this.
  14. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Wow! Now go buy a lotto ticket!

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well played :happy088::happy088:

Douglas Carey and CyanideMetal like this.
  16. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

:signs011:

18. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

View attachment 63860

Feather AS-D2
    Mild, (so I've read) unquestionable quality, and 100% Stainless Steel.

Mark, if I had one, I'd put it in a box and send it to for a month long trial.
    Unfortunately, I don't own one.
    Maybe there is a generous soul here who would though?

If not, I've heard that on other forums there are razor pass arounds
    something like we did with the Yuma a while back, but with expensive razors.
    If you are seriously interested, maybe a bit of investigation could get you on track with a loaner?

Just thinkin' :signs002:[/quote]
    it is either The Feather or a FrankenTech. The Tech is much cheaper at about 78 bux.

19. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

I own a Merkur Futur, Merkur Barber Pole, and Merkur 1904. I have had zero issues with plating or quality for any matter. But i also don't inspect mine to the ends of the earth. If it shaves good and feels solid its a winner in my book.

Douglas Carey and Mustache like this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wow, most excellent PIF!

CyanideMetal likes this.