I changed my Routine up...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by chrisf8657, Oct 2, 2015.

1. chrisf8657

chrisf8657 Active Member

Just when you think you got it down and have everything known - you don't.
    I was doing the 3 pass, slow shave with Pre Shave oil routine. Took alot of time, but I enjoyed it.

But, I wanted to quicken up the shave.
    So, I decided for the hell of it because I don't have to go anywhere now since I quit my job to take care of my elderly father (and still be comfortable),
    I tried a N/S (2-pass) quick shave like I did all my life with cartridge razors - but I skipped the Pre-shave oil, and changed to a Astra SP blade.

Expecting my face to look like a Horror film, the results on the first shave where interesting. Not total BBS, but near BBS - DFS = still some areas with stubble I missed. The most surprising thing was that I had no irritation. However, I needed to shave again in 36 hours vs 72+.

I tried this several more times, and added a VERY quick quasi-3rd pass (W-E) to get BBS, and it has worked out tremendously. While I need to shave more often, it doesn't bother me, or my face.

I was surprised how well the Astra blade worked, I had dismissed it as middle of road before, but it proved to me any almost any blade can give a BBS shave.

Just goes to show you I guess :)

Shaver X likes this.
  2. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I'm glad its working out for you. If you really want a challenge try a Tiger 3 hole blade. It makes me shudder just thinking its name.

On a better note, Astra SP is one of the better blades for me. I also really like Kai blades but they are the most expensive blade from my vender so I would like to find a cheaper blade I like as well. I'm working my way thru 100 different blades to find it.

3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

You just descibed my shave pattern. I go N/S, S/N then do a half a pass on my neck. I have been experimenting with the directions of the first to pass trying to eliminate the need for touch up, beacause I rarely get irritation with two passes, but start to see it on the third. For what it's worth, I have used this same pattern for cartridge, DE, and straights, with similar results.