I don't know if you'll like this one, but....

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by C utz, Jun 5, 2007.

1. C utz

C utz New Member

Here is a 'slow motion' restoration that is more of small restorations that I had been working on over time, and just decided to put what I had together (the blade and scales were not originally intended for each other). At the end, I decided to 'get cute' (as my father would say) and went for something different....the blackened tang/spine. I kinda like it..........

It's an OLD "Patent Temper Steel" 6/8 blade (maker?) that I cleaned the hell out of (you name it, I probably did it to this blade).

The scales are walnut that I hardened with 'wood hardener' (Minwax), put 0.005 brass liner and blue plastic inner liners on. The inlay was my first attempt ever and shows it...but it's flush and sanded with the wood. The end spacer is ebony to match the blade. The scales are sanded to ~4000K and coated a few times with truoil...

Here she is!

C utz

(P.S. I have more restorations to come, and will most likely be posting a number of the one's I've done for sale....if anyone cares )

Attached Files:

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Well done! And yes, we do care. :D

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

:drool Oh yeah, we CARE! That's sweeeet, but then I have always been a sucker for walnut.

4. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Great looking razor.. I do like scales in natural wood.. Cool..

5. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

Very nice job on the pins, their placement, and on the profile of the scales. You are movin' on up, there, Chris.

6. bg42

bg42 New Member

great

Pretty darn GOOD
    Kind regards Peter

7. xChris

xChris Member

Nice piece -- I like the blueing too. We need a shot from the end though, so we can appreciate the ebony wedge.

8. C utz

C utz New Member

OK, I'm sorry this took so long...

I posted this one (and a few others) on eBay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250151775598&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=015

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with this forum yet, to find the 'Buy/Trade' areas (I sure as hell found that damn arcade thought!)...so, I posted them on eBay...for what it's worth.

As for the pictures, I'm somewhat in a 'transition state'. I'm trying to move from my scanner-pictures, to learning how to take better pictures with my wife's lil' digital camera....... I'm gettin' there.

Thanks!!
    C utz

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Absolutely Beautiful razors.

10. bg42

bg42 New Member

not bad ,I particularly like the shield
    kind regards Peter
    PS what is the blade ,by the shape of the shank it looks like an old one

11. C utz

C utz New Member

Thanks again guys..

As for the make, I'm not quite sure who made this one. The tang only has "Patent Temper'd Steel" on it. Someone on another forum thought it might be made by John Barber because of what the tang had written on it, but I'm not convinced. I've seen similar writings on other makers, so, I'm not sure....

I DO believe the blade is old though. The blade has heft, but the tang is rather thin. Nice thick tang and blade design....

Sorry I could not be more helpful than skeptical....

C utz

12. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I would be right in on the bidding for that one but for two things:

a) my RAD needs a break.

b) that one will surely go right out of my price range by the end of bidding! 'Cause it's gorgeous!