I finally got the hang of shave sticks.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by shave/brush, Jul 23, 2014.

1. shave/brush

shave/brush Active Member

I looked at shave soap sticks as a nice option for a change to keep things interesting. I always bowl lather. Never was interesting in face lathering but the shave sticks were always tempting.
    The problem was, I tried them several times and just could not seem to make a good lather with them. I'm not sure what I'm doing different now but I finally got the hang of using a shave stick and face lathering.
    Now I'm getting hooked on them. My last few shaves I've used a soap stick and I love it. I will be giving my lather bowl a rest for awhile.

Bristle Me likes this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

For me, the key to shave sticks is to really make sure my face is wet before applying the stick

3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

What are you using for soap? The first stick I tried I hated. The next I loved. I think the soap you choose has a lot to do with it.

4. shave/brush

I first tried Palmolive then Arko. I found no difference between the two when I was having a problem. I think what made a difference for me was to put more product on to start with and add water slowly. It took me awhile but I finally got it. I went crazy on the sticks and ordered Tabac, Speick, and La Toja.

dscaver, Bristle Me and markjnewcomb like this.
  5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Shave sticks are some of my favorites. I like Palmolive, Arko, De Vergulde Hand, Mike's Barbershop stick, and Irisch Moos.

dscaver likes this.
  6. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I've never been able to master the face lathering thing. Always end up smashing the sticks in a mug and bowl lathering.

jmsodpc and Bristle Me like this.
  7. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I just wet the stick and use my whiskers as the soap catcher.

8. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I like the Ogalalla stick! But it feels like a stick of butter LOL

dscaver and Omelmad like this.
  9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I like shave sticks too. Definitely want to try more of them but I've got enough Palmolive and Arko to last a long time.

Omelmad likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I made my own shave stick by melting Col. Conk Amber into an empty Arm and Hammer deodorant container. I do a great prep and just rub it into my beard. Face-lathering rules.
    1col_conk_amber2.jpg

11. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

I really only use them for travel - except for Palmolive, which I mash into a bowl.

12. shave/brush

I think what helped me was I put a lot of soap on my face to start with. Then take a damp brush and start to build the lather on your face. Dip the tips of your brush (about 1/4 inch.) into water as needed. Just add a little water at a time. That's what did it for me. I gave up too but I kept coming back to it again. I was determined to make sticks work for me.

Bristle Me likes this.
  13. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Yes!

Rule #1 = Never give up. Never.

Rule #2 = Never admit to anything. Never. Even if you fall out of her
    second story bedroom window, land in the bed of her fathers pickup truck,
    and break your left leg in three places. :ashamed001:

Oh, and I like the Tabac & Palmolive shave sticks. :)

dscaver likes this.
  14. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

I have disposed of all of my sticks except for two.....a Lea and a classic Irisch Moos. I never took the using the the sticks. I keep the Lea in my travel kit for convenience. I am keeping the Irisch Moos because it is a classic and no longer produced. The Moos has a scent of its on that is not available in any of today's soaps. I break it out every now and then - wonderful lather, great scent. I wish I would have stocked up on the Moos when it was available just for the scent. When I do use a stick, I water up my face, hold the stick under hot water for a minute or so, and then go the the face. The best part of using a stick is the face lathering with a stubby Semogue boar..something like a 1470 or 1438. Feels soooooo good.:happy108:

Ed

15. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Every puck of soap is a shave stick.

16. shave/brush

So far Arko made the best soap for me. My next shave I want to compare it to Tabac. I'm hooked on these shave sticks now.

Bristle Me likes this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While stick Arko is my favorite soap, I use it almost everytime I shave. I mash it in a small Ziploc bowl so I can bowl lather with it. Although sticks can be very convenient for travel and I will face lather on occasion, I never really did warm up to applying soap with a stick or face lathering..:)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Bristle Me likes this.
  18. shave/brush

I never had an interest in face lathering either but the shave sticks kind of caught my attention as something different. They are a nice change from the same routine. Now I'm starting to enjoy them very much.
    I too like the Arko soap. I have 5 pucks of it.

19. ajscuba

ajscuba New Member

I'm going to have to give this a try. Went on a week long trip and did not shave because I did not want to transport all my gear. Now I might be able once I find a suitable stick.

dscaver likes this.
  20. shave/brush

If you can find a shave stick locally it's better. Because if you buy just one the shipping charges will be almost as much as the soap stick. Still over all it's cheap.