I found a trick to make your face feel amazing post-shave.

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by 7055, Feb 7, 2016.

1. 7055

7055 Active Member

So I really like Proraso Green because it's slick and offers good protection and is really cheap, however it leaves my face feeling dry and uncomfortable afterwards unlike the super expensive Baum.be.

But now my face feels spectacular after I shave with Proraso green, I purchase a bottle of castor oil at the drug store and use it as pre-shave. It seems to soften the whiskers and give me a closer shave and more slickness. Best of all, after I'm done shaving, my face feels AMAZING from rubbing the castor oil on it as a preshave. I hear it's supposed to have health benefits too.

2. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

There are quite a few DIY tricks that work well. It seems like you are paying for the brand name with some of the products out there. It is good to experiment and find what works best for you.

3. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I will on occasion use Myrsol Emulsion as a pre-shave or even as a brushless cream. It leaves the face nicely moisturised and adds a slight menthol tingle to the soap/cream you use.
    I'm sure the list of oils and creams you can use as a pre-shave is a mile long, and it doesn't have to be expensive. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it yet since it gives you some leeway in the form of extra skin protection.
    Remember to let the pre-shave sink in for a couple of minutes before you start shaving, and keep in mind that oils don't last forever. They can go rancid within six months of opening, so unless you're also making soap, there's no need to buy a gallon of the stuff

MarshalArtist and Robyflexx like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I add several drops of glycerin to any aftershave that does not moisturize properly. This works great, because I have naturally dry skin.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's cool. My mother used to give it to us kids castor oil as a laxative. It had an awful taste as I remember.

dangermouse, theFAT98 and Robyflexx like this.
  6. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I just started doing this as well.

7. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Now there's a memory I thought I had banished years ago. Horrible.

8. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

The only thing I use on my skin or I should say on my face is NuSkin NAPCA its the actual moisturizing factor found in human skin.. incredible stuff I only use aftershave on my neck

Spud likes this.
  9. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

My trick is to just use mitchells wool fat...... hahaha

Great tip. Glad it works for you.

10. gregkw1

This is the stuff you guys have to try. Your skin will never be the same and it actually prevents and reduces wrinkles. [​IMG]

crackstar and Spud like this.
  11. gregkw1

Amazon and flea bay has it.

12. eaglewing59

eaglewing59 Well-Known Member

I make my own pre shave oil. Castor oil, grape seed oil, and glycerin. Works great and gives the cream a great base. The razor glides right through the whiskers.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. gregkw1

Everyone IMHO has not experienced real post shave bliss until you try Nu-Skins NAPCA. If you Google NAPCA you'll understand a little better.

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Heh. Usually when I click on something with similar sounding titles to
    "I found a trick to make your face feel amazing post-shave."
    I end up wasting my time.
    [​IMG]
    Not this time. But I think I'll skip Castor Oil and NAPCA. Witch hazel works just fine for me.

DesertTime, BigMike and Taipan like this.
  15. gregkw1

Planofman send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a sample of the napca. I bet you'll love it. Greg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. dangermouse

It has urine in it! Well, urea but that's the same thing isn't it?

BigMike likes this.
  17. dangermouse

I looked it up.
    Urea:
    A water-soluble compound, CO(NH2)2, that is the major nitrogenous end product of protein metabolism and is the chief nitrogenous component of the urine in mammals and other organisms. Also called carbamide.

18. gregkw1

Urea is also used in making pretzels

Joef likes this.
  19. gregkw1

Jerry those pretzels are making me thirsty

RyX, Woohog1 and dangermouse like this.
  20. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

Don't worry. Urea is also used as a buffering agent in many cosmetics. It is the non-toxic compound your body makes from the ammonia that results from protein metabolism. Your body also uses urea to make ornithine and citrulline, which you need to metabolize fat for energy.
    Castor oil, on the other hand, contains ricin A which is not good for you in large doses. (The ricin B that is the deadly poison gets refined out before it is safe to sell.) I recommend you blend it with some olive oil at no more than 10%. If you want to thin the olive oil out you can use sesame oil as another additive.

dangermouse and KLF like this.